These meatballs are so flavorful that no sauce is even needed if you prefer and they bake in less than 20 minutes. Plus, you can freeze a few batches to heat and eat later! Use homemade breadcrumbs like shown here, or store bought work just fine!
Sometimes it’s comical to me that I enjoy cooking as much as I do. For years, anything beyond a scrambled egg felt intimidating, much less homemade Italian meatballs . I was afraid I’d mess it up or it would take too long and instead I’d settle for a sub-par convenient substitute. But now I’ve learned how much quality matters- in nutrition, in taste, in satiety.
I’ve also learned that so many foods are so much easier to make than I once thought. Take breadcrumbs, for example. For years I bought the canisters of pre-made Italian breadcrumbs. They worked fine so I thought. Then, one day I discovered how simple it was to make them myself and how much fresher and brighter the flavors were. I haven’t looked back since!
Not only is it easy, but it’s another fun task that the kids love getting involved with. My girls are the professional bread crumblers and they take their jobs very seriously. They even handle quality control by sneaking bites along the way. Both they and I approve of the taste and quality standards of our favorite go-to eureka!® Organic Bread varieties.
Using the fresh flavor of eureka!® Organic Bread and adding a few herbs and spices are all it takes to make incredibly tasty Italian breadcrumbs. Plus, being in charge of the food processor’s pulse feature is a guaranteed toddler favorite!
That’s it! So simple and there you have it- delicious, fresh, flavor-packed breadcrumbs.
Not only do these taste better than anything store bought, I feel great about the nutrition they offer. eureka!® Organic Breads are made with quality organic ingredients and make grain-filled taste great. Plus, without using artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, the flavor is pure goodness.Print
Delicious bread and a few herbs and spices are all it takes to make incredibly tasty Italian breadcrumbs.
- 10 slices eureka!® Organic Bread
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning blends
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- If bread is stale, proceed to the next step. If bread is fresh, place slices directly on the oven grate and bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes. Allow bread to cool.
- Break slices into large chunks and place in a food processor.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, sugar and garlic powder and pulse until it reaches your desired consistency.
But what good are fresh, delicious bread crumbs without a recipe to use them in?
Say no more. These two-bite mini meatballs are the perfect size for toddlers and kids that love to dip. My kids devour them, especially when I pair them with their favorite noodle.
I cringe when I think how many bland frozen meatballs I used to to buy when I could have been making and freezing these instead. They are so flavorful that no sauce is even needed if you prefer and they bake in less than 20 minutes (yet another kid-friendly use for my nonstick mini-muffin pan).
Make a batch of these using your freshly made eureka!® Organic Bread Italian breadcrumbs and your family will be praising you for the rest of the night. David couldn’t get enough and was psyched when I told him I made two more batches to stick in the freezer.Print
These meatballs are so flavorful that no sauce is even needed if you prefer and they bake in less than 20 minutes. Plus, you can freeze a few batches to heat and eat later!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 c homemade Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients using your hands until well incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Roll into balls, about 1 inch in diameter and place in mini muffin pan or about an inch apart on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve with marinara for dipping or on top of spaghetti for a hearty weeknight dinner.
Getting the kids involved in the kitchen and using high quality ingredients makes dinner a fun, delicious and wholesome experience for all. Now go whip up some fresh breadcrumbs and meatballs from scratch (no need to tell anyone how easy it is!) and enjoy the praise you’ll get for making such a delicious meal!