Friday afternoon we went to Danielle’s house for a an Olympic kick off celebration. It was such a blast. All the adults picked a country to represent in food and beverage (I was Greece and brought layered hummus dip and Ouzo) and all the kids represented the USA!
We played yard games (egg relays and water balloon tosses), swam, tried to match each flag to its correct country, ate a smorgasbord of food, and gave Molly big hugs. We’re going to miss her so much but are excited for her family and their new adventure in Michigan! It’s not goodbye; it’s see you later.
Saturday morning we all slept in (and yes it still feels a little crazy to me to be at the parenting stage where the kids can sleep in). David and I popped into an open house in our neighborhood and got a wild hair to come back and rearrange our living room. We are now in the process of putting a frame TV above the fireplace, which will probably lead to new couches, too.
Sunday we worked more on the project, had a neighbor come take the big mirror, and I did my first ever Peloton ride. It was only 20 minutes with Ally but dang yall, it made me sweat! We got the Peloton on Friday, but it will only live with us for a few more weeks before we switch it to Sweet Home Bearolina. But it will be fun to have for a few weeks!
Both girls were really excited about my new no-heat curlers. Even though Kaitlyn only made it a couple hours with them in, not overnight, the curls were legit!
This week’s menu was a “keep it simple” kind of vibe. On the menu:
- chicken fajitas with refried beans and guacamole
- chicken sausage, kale, and cherry tomato pasta
- grilled chicken sandwiches and garlicky green beans
- chicken and vegetable curry over coconut rice
- mom’s spaghetti
- pizza night (with bread machine dough)
A lot of our summer dinners have been pretty simple. I’ve made about 1-2 dinners each week that feel like a level up, but for the most part we’ve stuck with simple meals.
If you’re looking for some heat-of-summer dinner inspiration, I hope these “what we’ve been eating lately” meals will give you some tasty ideas for shaking things up!
- Grilled chicken Green gyro wraps with our favorite Greek Salad
- Crockpot pulled BBQ pork on homemade buns
- Burger bowls with balsamic tomatoes, fresh from the porch!
- Grilled sirloin steaks, fresh sliced tomatoes, and kale pesto pasta salad
- chicken enchiladas (makes two pans) with black beans and guacamole
- lemon dill salmon (cooked on convection, which is essentially like air frying), roasted potatoes and broccoli
- chicken thighs with fresh oregano and lemon or herbed rice and green beans
- roasted pork tenderloin, herb rice, garden tomatoes, and roasted broccoli
- If you love pizza as much as we do, it’s worth getting a bread machine. Perfect dough every time! We topped it with mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, mozzarella, pepperoni, and fresh basil.
- marinated chicken and noodles with simple arugula salad
- coconut lime grilled chicken over coconut rice and steamed broccoli
- throw together salads have been a go-to lunch for me- romaine, cucumber, tomato, deli turkey, boiled egg, celery, carrots, feta, red onion
What tasty summer meal have you enjoyed lately??