This super simple, 7 ingredient casserole is full of fresh vegetables and brown rice, making it as wholesome as it is hearty. Easy to prepare ahead of time, this Southwestern sausage and vegetable brown rice casserole is adaptable and is sure to become a family favorite!
You won’t see me post about too many casseroles. In general, they just aren’t my thing. However I threw together this super simple and healthy combination a couple weeks ago and both girls ate it enthusiastically. Hailey even proclaimed it was her most favorite thing I have ever cooked ever. Such accolades over such a simple dish filled with zucchini, red pepper, and brown rice? OK, cool.
So I had to make it again to snap some pictures and again the whole family really enjoyed it, which guaranteed I had to share it here.
Once upon a time I shared recipes with step by step picture instructions. That fell by the wayside, but this recipe is so incredibly simple, I can bring it back.
Cook the sausage and onion stove-top until no longer pink.
Once cooked, mix it in a baking dish with all the other ingredients.
Cover with tinfoil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove tinfoil, sprinkle with cheese, bake for 2 more minutes.
Seriously, that is it.
Round it out with some chips a salsa, toss in some avocado, or just eat it as is.
I’m all about sharing simple, healthy meals that the entire family will enjoy, so if you try this one, please report back with your family’s feedback. Hearing that you tried (and liked!) these recipes in your own home always warms my heart.
Note: you could easily jazz this up with a couple tablespoons of chopped jalapenos for some heat. With summer approaching, you could also toss in some summer corn. Basically, you can mix and match the vegetables any way you like. Super adaptable!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sausage, casings removed (I used pork, but chicken or turkey would work great too)
- 1 c diced onion (about 1 small)
- 3 c diced zucchini (about 2 regular)
- 1½ c diced red pepper (about 1 large)
- 1½ c long grain brown rice
- 3 c vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 c shredded pepper-jack cheese
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and onion. Cook until the the sausage is crumbled and no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- While the sausage cooks, add the rice, vegetables, and broth into a 9X13 baking dish.
- Add cooked sausage and onion to baking dish and mix well.
- Cover tightly with tinfoil and place in oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove tinfoil, sprinkle with pepper-jack cheese and place back in oven uncovered for 2 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with chips and salsa.
For more of my family’s favorite recipes, click here!