This sausage, kale, and white bean soup recipe has a comforting and robust depth of flavor and texture thanks to the spices in the sausage and the creaminess created by pureeing the majority of the beans. Serve with a hunk of crusty bread and you have a meal that will fill your belly and warm you from within.
I can not get enough soups and stews recently. I’ve made my vegetable beef soup on repeat (with corn bread, of course) and when a reader recently reminded me of a sausage, kale, and white bean soup recipe she loved and still made that I shared years ago, I knew I had to bring it forth from the archives.
Thank you, kind reader, because you are right- this recipe is worth making repeatedly.
The highlights of this soup are this:
- The sausage provides a robust flavor profile. You can use pork or chicken sausage, and while I haven’t tried it yet, I believe a vegetarian sausage would work just as well.
- Pureeing the majority of the beans creates a rich texture that provides the feel of a creamy soup without any dairy.
- It’s a quick soup to make. From beginning prep work to serving is less than 30 minutes.
Now just because I’m a soup lover, it doesn’t mean my whole family is. However, this is how I make it work as a meal for the whole family.
- Serve with bread. Homemade sourdough takes the cake lately, but crusty dinner rolls with butter work just as well.
- Serve it to young kids with less broth. For Kaitlyn (6) I use a slotted spoon and she still gets all the goodness with less annoyance with the broth.
- Offer freshly grated Parmesan as a topping. Both David and the kids always love this extra.
I hope you enjoy this sausage, kale and white bean soup and it bring you warmth and comfort during this fall and winter season.
This sausage, kale, and white bean soup recipe has a comforting and robust depth of flavor and texture thanks to the spices in the sausage and the creaminess created by pureeing the majority of the beans.
1.25 lbs mild Italian sausage
1 c diced yellow onion (about 1/2 a large)
1/2 c diced celery (about 2 large stalks)
3 (15 oz) cans of Cannellini beans, drained
1/2 bunch of dino kale, cut into thin strips
1 quart vegetable broth
1 tsp white wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of broth and sausage. Break sausage apart as it browns.
While sausage cooks, add 2 cans of beans and 1 cup of broth to a blender. Blend well until smooth.
Once sausage is almost fully cooked (about 10 minutes), add onion and celery, salt and pepper. Mix well and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until onions and celery are softened.
Add remaining broth and bring to a simmer. Add the kale and let steam until wilted.
Add beans, bean puree, and the white wine vinegar. Add salt and pepper as needed. Mix well until heated through, then serve.