These buffalo chicken wraps lighten up a spicy classic with grilled chicken and a homemade Greek-yogurt based blue cheese dressing that will give you all the flavor you crave with a lot less of the fat.
Do you have a food you associate with a certain event or time of year? Obviously there is movies and popcorn and turkey and Thanksgiving, but I think the strongest association for me is that of buffalo chicken and football. Maybe it imprinted on me while working at Buffalo’s Southwest Cafe through college, but somehow even waitressing through more$0.25 wing nights than I can count couldn’t damper my love for the perfect combination of spicy buffalo sauce and cool, creamy blue cheese dressing.
The only negative I can find with the classic combo is the heavy feeling a plate of fried chicken wings can leave in my stomach after I inevitably down a 12 wing platter by myself. So to feed my craving without feeling like I’m clogging my arteries, I’ve lightened things up a bit. First, by grilling the chicken as opposed to deep frying. And secondly, by whipping up my own at-home Greek yogurt based blue cheese dressing.
Throw in some fresh romaine and diced celery for crunch and you pretty much have the perfect Saturday afternoon football-watching lunch.
If you’re serving a crowd, make several wraps, or just whip a batch of this blue cheese dressing for dipping. It’s so ridiculously good I promise no one would guess that you’ve swapped the sour cream for Greek yogurt.
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp Worcestshire sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup blue cheese crumbles
- salt and pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt and mayo until well combined.
- Add the lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestshire, garlic powder, salt and pepper and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Pour in the blue cheese crumbled and gently stir to combine.
- Allow dressing to sit in fridge for at least an hour before serving to allow flavors to meld. Will stay good in an airtight container for up to a 1 week.
For assembling the wraps:
- 1 lb chicken
- 4 large, burrito-sized tortillas
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 1 cup diced celery
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Wash and prep all produce.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill until cooked through. Cut into strips and place in mixing bowl. Pour in buffalo sauce and mix well to combine.
- Lay out a single tortilla on parchment paper and began to layer the following: ½ of the chicken mixture, 2 Tbsp blue cheese dressing, ¼ cup romaine, ¼ cup celery, a few cherry tomatoes, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Fold tortilla over ingredients, tuck sides of tortilla in, and roll over completely to finish the wrap. Roll in parchment paper and cut in half.