This spicy vegetarian chili is hearty enough to satisfy the most ferocious of appetites. Filled with fiber-rich black beans and sweet potatoes, it’s a healthy and delicious vegan dinner option any night of the week!
Once upon a time I thought anything could go in the crock-pot. Perhaps it was the time-strapped new mom in me, but I figured why cook any soup or stew stove-top? Might as well toss it all in the slow cooker and hit go right?
Well, no, I was wrong. Not everything translates to the slow-cooker as well as this delicious black bean soup does.
I’ve been trying to go back and test recipes I posted on here a while ago to ensure they are share worthy as I revamp my recipe section. I came across my crock-pot sweet potato and black bean chili and though every fiber in my being wanted it to turn out, the crock-pot version just didn’t have the same zing, texture and deep flavor that I wanted it too.
But fear not, when made in a giant pot on the stove, this chili is phenomenal.
It’s hearty, with a bit of spice, and will definitely leave you feeling satiated and cozy.
Since I don’t want you to miss out on this delicious vegetarian meal, I redid the recipe to do the flavors justice and wanted to share it with you today.
If you’re a meatless Monday fan, but maybe your husband isn’t, try this chili.
If you have friends that don’t believe vegetarian meals can be filling or satisfying enough, make them this chili.
If you are only cooking for one, this meal only gets better each day so eat it all week or freeze it, but still, make this chili.
I promise, you’ll love it!Print
Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
This spicy vegetarian chili is hearty enough to satisfy the most ferocious of appetites. Filled with fiber-rich beans and sweet potatoes, it’s a healthy and delicious vegan dinner option any night of the week!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded, & chopped
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded, & chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers-seeded & diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- ¼-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 28 oz vegetable broth
- 30 oz black beans, washed, rinsed, drained
- Juice of 1 lime
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro, chopped scallions
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add bell peppers, jalapeno & sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook one minute.
- Add chili powder, salt, cumin, pepper, red pepper flakes, basil and bay leaf. Stir & cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes & broth. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans & continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf & stir in lime juice.
- Garnish and serve.
What is your favorite vegetarian dinner to make?
Do you participate in meatless Monday?