This spicy vegetarian chili is hearty enough to satisfy the most ferocious of appetites. Filled with fiber-rich beans and sweet potatoes, it’s a healthy and delicious vegan dinner option any night of the week!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded, & chopped
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded, & chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers-seeded & diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2–3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- ¼–1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 28 oz vegetable broth
- 30 oz black beans, washed, rinsed, drained
- Juice of 1 lime
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro, chopped scallions
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add bell peppers, jalapeno & sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook one minute.
- Add chili powder, salt, cumin, pepper, red pepper flakes, basil and bay leaf. Stir & cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes & broth. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans & continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf & stir in lime juice.
- Garnish and serve.