I’ve been pretty open about my inability to properly dress myself for a while now and I am SO excited to be stepping out of my comfort zone and trying to learn some new ways to wear clothes that flatter my figure by enrolling in the fashion challenge (still time if you want to join- outfit combos start being sent out on Sunday).
When Ashley first told me about the challenge I almost passed it up because it sounded too complicated, but I’m so glad I did it because now I am dancing around in some fall staples, eager for the first outfit combo to be sent out.
Many of the people in the challenge had most of the staples already in their closet. I, on the other hand, was pretty much starting from scratch after being pregnant/nursing/drinking copious amounts of wine in between the aforementioned for the past three years. So I set out with the shopping list to buy some new items. I spent a little more on the things I’d know I’d wear (comfort zone) and went less expensive on some of the items out of my comfort zone. I figured if I loved the item, I could invest in a more quality piece next season.
I know, I know, quit chitty chatting and show me the clothes, right? First let me say I am in NO WAY a fashion blogger. I don’t know how to style an item (waiting to learn that on Sunday) and I sure as heck don’t know how to pose. However, a few of you mentioned wanting to see some of the staples I picked up, so… fashion show! fashion show! fashion show at lunch! (Mindy Project reference)
1. Plaid Scarf (comfort zone) – Though I need to learn different ways to wear a scarf, I liked the colors and knew it could be paired with many items for many seasons to come.
2. Boyfriend jeans (not in my comfort zone) – Can I pull off the cuff being that I’m only 5’1”? Is the ripped look still in? Should I really stray from my beloved dark wash jeans? Somehow I let the sales associate convince me I should get these. Jury is still out.
4. Leopard Flats (not in my comfort zone)- So leopard is a neutral? I’m not sure I understand what people mean by that. Looks pretty bold to me!
5. Military Jacket (from Target- couldn’t find the link) – originally I would have said out of my comfort zone, but now I think I could throw this on fairly easily. And look how angst-y and modelish this shot is (HA).
7. Plaid Shirt – I feel like I’m swimming in it (it’s a large), but the smaller sizes wouldn’t allow me to lift my arms. Not sure about this one.
8. Gray Cardigan (comfort zone) – Stitch Fix (affiliate link). So soft and comfy. Love me some cardigans!
9. Leopard Scarf (not in my comfort zone) – eh. I don’t know how to style it and still not sure leopard is for me. Stay tuned!
So there you have it- some of my new items! I’ll share full outfits (if you want me to) once we start getting them and let you weigh in. I can say that whatever the outcome, I’m pretty excited to have some new goodies in my closet ready to go.
What is your favorite fall staple?
What is one item of clothing that is out of your comfort zone but you’d like to try?
I almost never venture away from dark jeans, so I’m really excited about my gray jeans. Now I just need to learn what to do with them!