Last night I was elated that David was home in time to help with bed and bath. I was tired from a busy day and just wanted to eat dinner and enjoy some silence. Then, a funny thing happened. As I kicked my feet up, ready to enjoy the peace, I really missed the girls.
Yes, I know it sounds crazy. I had been begging for bedtime to hurry up and get here, then I wanted them to be awake again? Clearly I had lost my mind. I peeked in on them and had a moment of heavy hearted nostalgia and found myself wondering how to freeze time. Kaitlyn, all sprawled out on her belly, starfish-ed and peaceful. Hailey, arms curled up hugging her blanket and head on an actual pillow like an adult.
Right now I am able to mostly protect them from the outside world. Right now they think I’m the bees knees. Right now they are so innocent and loving. Right now. I really want to soak up right now.
So, that’s what I’m going to do today. I’m going to hit publish then go spend the day only with the girls. No side stuff.
But I don’t want to leave you empty handed, so in the blog world’s worst transition ever, I give you a spicy, satisfying, quicker version of chicken tortilla soup!
It’s spicy, filling and can be altered in a million ways.
Add black beans to add more fiber.
Leave out the jalapeno seeds to knock it down a spice level.
Go topping crazy with avocado, diced red onion and tortilla strips.
Or, just leave it like this and I’m certain you’ll enjoy it.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- ½ cup frozen (or canned) corn
- 1 jalapeno, minced (with seeds for added spice)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with cilantro and jalapenos (or Rotel)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 6 oz (1 small can) tomato paste
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- For Garnish
- Sour cream
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add garlic, onions and peppers. Stir well until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add corn, canned tomatoes, spices, chicken broth, tomato paste and chicken.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the soup and shred, then return it to the soup.
- Simmer for 5-10 more minutes then remove from heat.
- Squeeze juice from the lime into the soup and stir.
- Top with garnish and serve!
- I use these canned tomatoes and jalapenos from Whole Foods, but if you don’t have something similar, you can definitely use Rotel!
I’ll be eating the leftovers for lunch today and am pretty excited. Isn’t soup even better on the second day?!
What is your favorite soup?
I generally lean to a spicy tortilla, a hearty vegetable or a creamy butternut squash!