A satisfying and quicker version of chicken tortilla soup!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen (or canned) corn
- 1 jalapeno, minced (with seeds for added spice)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans Rotel
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 6 oz (1 small can) tomato paste
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- For Garnish
- Sour cream
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add garlic, onions and peppers. Stir well until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add corn, Rotel, spices, chicken broth, tomato paste and chicken.
- Bring to a boil, and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the soup and shred, then return it to the soup.
- Squeeze juice from the lime into the soup, sprinkle in chopped cilantro, and stir.
- Top with garnish and serve!
This can also be made in a slow cooker. I have this slow cooker that has a saute function. I saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft, then add the remaining ingredients through the tomato paste. Stir to mix well, then nestle the chicken in the middle. Cook on low for 6 hours, then have it switch to warm. When you get home, remove and shred the chicken, then put it back into the soup. Squeeze in the lime and stir in the cilantro, then enjoy!
This is super kid friendly when you leave out the jalapenos and serve it with tortilla chips or a cheese quesadilla for dipping.
Keywords: easy 30 minute homemade chicken tortilla soup