We started baby led weaning with Kaitlyn at 6 months old. She started with big pieces of food that were easy to grasp, like baked sweet potato sticks and steamed broccoli. At 7 months old she was getting more proficient and I started giving her smaller pieces of food to play with. Her pincer grip developed quickly with all the practice and now at 8 months, she prefers mostly smaller pieces. I find she gets more down the hatch this was too.
At 8 months old, Kaitlyn eats at least two meals a day, sometimes three. Her meal times are all over the place, but generally she eats about an hour after nursing. For this Munchkin Meals, I wanted to give you a look into what typical meals look like for Kaitlyn!
1. Scrambled egg, avocado and homemade bread with a thin schmear of cream cheese
2. Frozen blueberries, shredded chicken and avocado
3. Lentils, avocado and red pepper strips
…sensing an avocado theme? I put forth a solid effort to include fat at each of Kaitlyn’s meals. It’s great for brain development and packing in as many nutrient-dense calories as possible. I use avocado a lot, but also olives, butter, olive oil, full fat yogurt, meat, egg yolks and cheese.
4. Shredded chicken, pear slices and sliced black olives
5. French toast and banana … though funny fact, the only food Kaitlyn will not eat right now is banana! She can pick out all the other food pieces around it and leave the banana untouched.
6. Baked sweet potato pieces (this recipe is a favorite!), black beans and steamed broccoli
7. Lentils, diced grape tomatoes and zucchini sauteed in olive oil
8. Crockpot pulled pork and frozen peas
9. Ground beef, cooked and dipped in guacamole with steamed broccoli
10. And when all else fails, serve spaghetti!
Now share away… have a great kids recipe? Want to share what your kids are eating? Have a struggle you want to share? Link it up below!