These sweet and light vanilla cinnamon apple puffs will make you think you’re eating fresh doughnut holes from the comfort of your own kitchen. Simple to make and delightful to eat, they’d be a great weekend morning surprise for your family!
This post is brought to you by A Healthy Slice of Life sponsor.
I have a confession. Lately my use of whole wheat flour has been scarce at best.
See, there was a time when I put black beans in brownies and made cookies from flax eggs and applesauce and wouldn’t consider eating anything besides 100% whole wheat bread. There is nothing wrong with that, really, but my personal outlook on health has morphed a bit since then. I’ve realized that I eat those things so rarely that when I want a brownie, I want a chocolately, fudgey one. And since I’ve been making my own bread, I’m more comfortable using bread flour to make it light, fluffy and delicious. Moderation baby.
Long intro short, I’ve gotten more comfortable with the idea of treat yo’ self.
Especially when you can treat yourself with real ingredients in the comfort of your own kitchen.
I had that mantra in mind when I created these little gems. Our breakfasts are pretty typical around here and I was trying to dream up a breakfast treat, reminiscent of Dunkin’ Donuts’ Munchkins to surprise Hailey with on a Saturday morning.
After three tries, and plenty of tasting, I got it just right.
These Cinnamon Vanilla Apple Puffs are bite-sized breakfast treats will definitely make your family or friends smile. You will need a good, nonstick mini-muffin pan. I like this one.
By using unsweetened ingredients for the puffs themselves, it keeps them from being too sweet. This way the puff stays cakey and delicious…
These would be great to make for brunch, for a sleepover or just anytime you’re craving a little something special at breakfast.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup organic canola oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
- For the coating
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together applesauce, oil, egg and Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring as you go until a thick batter forms.
- Spoon about 1 Tbsp of batter into each cup in a greased mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until cooked through.
- While baking, combine cinnamon and sugar in one small bowl and melt butter in another.
- Allow puffs to cool for 5 minutes, them dip the top of each one, first in butter, then into the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Serve immediately.
This post is sponsored by Almond Breeze Almond Milk.
When you bake at home, do you try to make recipes healthier or just go all out?