This is an easy and delicious summer barley salad that is full of nutrition pulled together with a citrusy zing!
Summer Vegetable and Barley Salad
and because I forgot to put it in the group picture.
- ½ c barley
- 1.5 c vegetable broth
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 c corn kernels (grilled is best but even canned will work)
- ¼ c sliced scallions
- ¼ c minced fresh basil
- 1 large lime, juiced (a little over 2 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Combine barley and broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and set timer for 35 minutes.
- While barley cooks, dice the pepper, tomatoes, scallions, and basil.
- Once barley is finished cooking, allow it to cool.
- Combine barley and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well and serve immediately or cover and serve chilled.
Add broth, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to low. Let simmer for about 35 minutes until the barley has soaked up all the liquid. Remove from heat and let cool.
Meanwhile, chop up your veggies. Remove all the seeds from the tomatoes before dicing and dispose of them. They’ll make your salad soggy.
Once the barley is cool, throw everything into a bowl. Ad your olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper.
Mix it up and serve!
It’s tasty right away, or you can store it over night in the fridge and let the flavors meld even more. The chewiness of the barley makes the texture of this summer salad addicting- so good! And the lime really adds a flavorful zing!
I highly recommend making this before all the summer veggies disappear.
What summer veggie will you miss the most?
I pretty much live for tomato season, so I’ll be sad when all these amazing vine ripe tomatoes start disappearing!