Yesterday my mom told me about a list in Real Simple magazine of the 30 healthiest foods. I was intrigued and decided to check it out for myself.
Look over the list below… how many of these ‘healthiest foods’ do you include in your daily eats?
Here is my analysis:
- skim milk I’ve been more of a 1% or 2% girl lately, but always organic
- mushrooms Mushrooms need new PR. People think they’re void of nutrition, but they are low calorie and can help regulate estrogen levels. I should include more of them in my eats.
- barley oh yum, barley! Love barley… especially in this recipe
- walnuts I keep chopped walnuts in the freezer and even made muffins with them the other day!
- whole grain pasta It’s all I use
- peanut and almond butters Love these! Especially when paired with an apple.
- oatmeal I’m not very good at this one… I am almost out of my instant packets, then maybe I’ll learn to cook it stove top. I could include certainly include more oatmeal.
- quinoa I’m actually making a recipe with this high protein psuedo-grain later today
- lentils I’ve heard lots of buzz about lentils lately… I’m on the lookout for a good lentil soup. Any recipe suggestions?
- bulgur Reminds me, I’ve been meaning to make THIS again soon!
- almonds I snack on raw almonds almost daily. Such a portable snack.
- eggs Although I’ve fallen a little off the band wagon, I did use my favorite free-range omega 3 eggs in yesterday’s French toast 🙂
- nonfat Greek yogurt don’t let my lack of posting about it fool you- my Chobani obsession is alive and well- love the protein!
- chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) I actually have not been eating much chicken lately…
- wild salmon I always make sure to buy wild caught when I make salmon- even if it is a little extra $
- sardines hm… no… I have a tin of sardines that have been sitting in my pantry forever… I just can’t do it.
- kale I don’t eat it as often as I should, but I liked it a lot in THIS
- kiwi Love ‘em in summer time!
- blueberries Ate some yesterday actually… they were plump and delicious on the salad bar
- broccoli It’s pretty much a staple… until lately. I need to bring back the broc.
- avocados Love those healthy fats… in fact, I’ have 1/2 a ‘cado left in the fridge right now. Lunch perhaps?
- black beans I include these in any mexican meal, and they make a delicious soup!
- sweet potatoes Yes, although I don’t discriminate against any type of potato.
- extra-virgin olive oil of course
- edamame with a side of sushi? Sign me up!
- chard oh… got me on this one. I don’t think I’ve ever cooked chard… in fact… what is chard?
- kidney beans with the amount of chili we eat, I get plenty of kidney beans!
- oranges not as often as I should, but I do love the citrus-y fruit!
- spinach of course… in salads, in smoothies, in anything!
- pumpkin usually only in October… and in pie.
I’m pretty pleased with the frequency that I include most of these foods in my diet, and am intrigued to look into chard… you know, what it is and how to eat it 🙂
How do your daily eats measure up? And what’s your favorite food on the list?
My favorites are barley, greek yogurt and blueberries.
And peanut butter.