I’m running a little late this morning because my usual Friday segment on WCCB Rising was switched to today and I totally forgot to prepare a post ahead of time. I’m sure you all were waiting on pins and needles… Ha, kidding.
I had fun this morning with Terrance making at-home microwave popcorn (<—watch it here). I’ve become quite obsessed with it lately because it’s so quick and easy, plus with all the news about the danger of microwave popcorn lately, it’s nice to know I’m avoiding the chemicals.
My mom is here for a few days, and we’re looking forward to getting outside and having some fun! I took care of all the grocery shopping yesterday and realized I am a fairly predictable shopper. In fact, there are 5 things I buy and eat every week.
1. Local eggs. Sometimes I get spoiled and have a friend that gives me fresh eggs. Those weeks are the best! Otherwise I buy local eggs from my farmers market or from our local Healthy Home Market. They’re one thing that I can really TASTE a difference with and it’s hard to go back to grocery store eggs.
2. Avocado. Everyone’s favorite healthy fat, right? I’m no exception. Whether I eat these with eggs, on a salad, with fajitas or on a sandwich, I find myself using them a lot. It helps that Hailey is a big fan and has avocado at least once a day.
3. Salad Greens. Occasionally I’ll be a bit more adventurous and opt for arugula or baby kale, but romaine and spinach are my staples. I love the crunch romaine gives to my salad and spinach is so versatile that it can go in eggs, sandwiches, smoothies, mac ‘n cheese AND in salads. What’s not to love about that?
4. Fun Cheese. Feta and goat cheese, how I love thee. I love how creamy and delicious these cheeses are and how quickly they can add flavor to a dull salad, sandwich or pasta dish. They are a bit pricey, but I always regret it when I skip buying them!
5. Greek Yogurt. I actually haven’t eaten a lot of it lately, but Hailey really enjoys it, so I always pick some up. I like to branch out and try different brands. Let me tell you, this Greek Gods Honey variety is pretty amazing.
*Bonus* Something Seasonal. I try to buy at least one item each week that’s unique to keep things interesting. I try and see what’s in season and go from there. This week’s choice, the pomegranate, was a huge hit with Hailey. She can’t get enough!
What are your grocery staples?
How often to you pick up a new-to-you item?