David and I are serial entrepreneurs.
One funny example of this is from when we were first married. I got it in my head that I wanted to make individual soap/scrub drops to sell to fancy hotels. We bought a bunch of supplies to try and make them, but after much trial and error, the plan fizzled out before I could become the queen of fancy soap.
We’ve had several ventures beyond that that. A couple successes, but the majority haven’t panned out for one reason or another. I think it’s important to share that because it’s easy to see someone’s successes and forget about all the times that they fell flat on their face.
All this to say that I have a great respect for small businesses and the labor of love that they are born from. To put my money where my mouth is, this year I’m challenging myself to do more of my holiday shopping from small businesses.
Don’t get me wrong, I use and really appreciate Amazon. I’ll continue to share things I get from Amazon, too, because it really is a modern convenience that makes a big difference. But I figure if I can reallocate 40ish% of my holiday shopping to support small businesses, then that could make a big difference. Think if we all just shaved off a portion of their spending and focused it on small and local businesses? Pretty cool!
For this list I combed through a hundred recommendations you sent me through Instagram. It was a serious challenge as there were so many incredible businesses to support. To be maximally helpful, I handpicked the ones that I would/will purchase from myself. I hope this list connects you to some incredible gifts from some awesome entrepreneurs.
- Shopbofemme – A North Carolina based handmade jewelry shop making gorgeous pieces in a Bohemian + feminine style.
- The Gift of Today – Transforms precious, handwritten family recipes or notes into heirloom tea towels and handkerchiefs.
- Southern Elegance Candles – Simple and sleek candles with aromas to transport you back to a simpler time, no matter where you’re from.
- Rubi and Lib – A one stop shot for all your party or hosting needs, specializing in adorable printed invitations, party favors, personalized tableware, and Christmas ornaments.
- DIG + CO – They describe their products as makers of fine tools and objects made to love big and last a long time. Their products are so beautiful and to me, inspire a simple lifestyle connected to nature and family and wholesomeness.
- RK Woodworking – The bowl cozy! I shared this item gifted to me by my mother-in-law on Insta stories and y’all loved it. You put your bowl in it, then microwave to warm it up, and then you can pull your bowl out and enjoy without burning your fingers!
- The Rosy Red Head – She creates the cutest, most playful, floral prints, stickers, cards, and stationery.
- The Bogg Bag – Combining style and function, these totes are sturdy, durable, and even washable.
- The Cookie Crate – Spreading joy all over the US by delivering delicious, freshly-made cookies.
- Lilywrap – Wrap anything, anywhere with these beautiful, reusable, and versatile wraps that can tackle any wrapping project from a bottle of wine to a soccer call with ease.
- Beer Greetings – They offer creative and fun packages to gift beer (or other beverages, like a hot chocolate kit!) for any celebration.
- Heirloomed Collection Linens – A company focused on preserving the simple things, they offer aprons, table linens, pillows, kitchen wares, and vintage items.
- Dot and Army – Offering sustainable, everyday goods cloth napkins (their cocktail napkins would make a great gift), to wraps and covers, and kitchen extras.
- Sally and Sage – Believing food and travel are a few of life’s greatest joys, she brilliantly offers portable spice kits that would be perfect for everything from camping to airbnbs to condo stays!
- ChappyWrap – Made from an easy to care for cotton blend, these blankets are calming and warm and proclaimed to be the best blanket you will ever own.
I had to create a special shoutout section to some of my favorite local small businesses in the Charlotte, NC area. These women-owned businesses put their hearts and souls into what they do and it shows and shines in the products they offer.
- Sweet Stella Treats – Located in the Lake Norman area, Bonnie is a gifted artist that creates not only the most detailed and delightful cake pops for any of your celebration needs, she also offers DIY cake pop kits that come with everything you need to make the magic in your own kitchen. Ordering for her Christmas Cake Pop Kits will be available soon!
- Alpine Mercantile – Located in Mooresville, Alpine Mercantile is a purveyor of good, clean stuff. From plant hangers to tea towels to candles, soaps, bath salts, and grains and seeds, you can find a gift for anyone on your list here.
- The Batch Maker – Cristina is more than a masterful baker, she has created a community based around loving people well, which she does through her baking. Her bakery, located in West Charlotte, is worth stopping by for a decadent cookie or cake slice and a coffee, but you can also place orders online.
- Sniff and Rescue – Jena creates soy, coconut, and beeswax candles that not only have the loveliest aromas, but also support a good cause. 10% of her proceeds go directly to support local dog rescues and shelters.
- Jessica Beaver Creative – Jessica creates beautiful silhouettes that can be printed and frames or printed on greeting cards. I love that she can make heartwarming silhouettes of children, but of animals as well. These are a timeless way to capture and hold onto a precious moment in time.
- Evans Family Farm – If you are looking for local, honest, pasture-raised meat, you must check out Evans Family Farm. They offer online ordering and even home delivery of their grass-fed, non-GMO, humanely raised and processed meats, poultry, eggs, and more. You can support them by purchasing your holiday meats from them or by buying a gift card for someone you love!
While this season is about much more than gifts, I know how many of us enjoy getting to show our love through this avenue. What a blessing to get to give twice- through the gift itself and also by purchasing from a small business, to whom it means so much. Happy shopping! <3