Beer for Milk & Our Swaddle Transition

I received quite a few questions from you yesterday about my comment regarding beer and milk supply. I am no expert on the topic, but happy to share my experience. From what I’ve read, it’s the brewer’s yeast and hops (NOT the alcohol) in beer that stimulates milk production.  I haven’t had any problems with supply, but I definitely notice that if I drink a beer, my milk replenishes itself more quickly. If I have more than 1 beer? Ouch- over supply!

It may not be water into wine, but I’m a pro at turning beer into milk! But man, that water into wine thing would be cool.

mommys sippy cup

Some say that the alcohol can have a negative effect on milk supply, but personally, I haven’t experienced that. Others say that a certain type of beer (like a stout) works better than other types. For me, any type of beer has the same enhancing effect. I’m not saying all nursing moms should go drink beer, in fact, non-alcoholic beer will work just as well if you’re looking for a supply boost. And if you have more of a sweet tooth, whip up some lactation cookies instead. These are my favorite.

Now onto swaddling…

As you all know, from the moment Hailey was born, we’ve swaddled her for naps and nighttime sleep.

IMG_1488

Was she ever really that little? Oh my goodness. Mom swoon.

From what I’ve gathered, most people stop swaddling around 3 months for various reasons. We didn’t. In fact, we switched to double swaddling Hailey because she slept so well when snuggled up.

Lately she began to break free of the double swaddle, velcro and all. For naps I’d only swaddle her legs, but to try and put her down with no swaddle at all always turned into a battle.

escape artist

I wasn’t sure what to do. I figured it might be a tough transition out of swaddling, and prepared myself for some sleepless nights.

Then reader Jen suggested I look into a product called Baby Merlin’s Magical Sleepsuit.

Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit

The sleepsuit is designed to help babies transition out of swaddling by providing the warmth and coziness of a swaddle, without the swaddle. It also helps to subdue the twitches and jerky movements babies have that often wake them up.

Sounds downright, well, magical, doesn’t it? I contacted the company and they offered to send me a suit to try with Hailey. They have 2 sizes, 3-6 months and 6-9 months. I went with the larger size.

Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit and baby

The suit reminded me of a snow suit, slightly bulky and super snuggly. It has 2 zippers so it was easy to get Hailey in and out. Much easier than trying to swaddle my strong 5 month old .

Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit dual zipper

Hailey seemed to get a kick out of wearing it.

baby wearing the Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit

The true test, though, came at nap time. When she was tired, I put her in the suit, laid her in the crib and walked out holding my breath. Silence. I went back to check on her about 10 minutes later and found this:

baby sleeping in Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit

Snoring softly and cozy as could be. The real surprise came 45 minutes later, when Hailey usually wakes up from her nap. Only this time, she was still snoozing solidly and did so for another 45 minutes! 1.5 hours of sleeping baby bliss. I almost didn’t know what to do with myself.

Since then, we’ve used the sleepsuit for every nap and nighttime. She tends to like to bring her legs up into the suit, which she can do by herself. She also can get her hand into her mouth, so the suit doesn’t restrict movement, it just helps control the quick, jerky movements, like smacking herself in the face.  The transition has been seamless and she’s sleeping like a little angel.

happy Hailey in her sleepsuit

The only problem I might have with it is during the hot summer months. I’d want to make sure her room would be cool enough for her not to get sweaty, since she tends to be a hot-natured baby.

Overall, I’m incredibly impressed with the suit. I feel like it’s easing the transition into sleeping sans swaddle. Hailey is sleeping wonderfully in her suit and I’m still grateful for the 11 hour sleep stretch Hailey gives us at night.

What is one baby product that has really helped you?

Share on Facebook3Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest3Google+0

Comments

The the first thing I too thought about, when seeing this suit, is what happens in the Summer, which is just around the corner for you all that side of the world.

2. Lauren says

That is precious!! I needed that for my daughter…who by the way we swaddled til almost 7 months…I had run out of ideas with the largest swaddles we could find…we bit the bullet and began to try the NON swaddling nighttime routine…it eventually worked itself out…but with baby #2 We will definately have to give these a try! :)

We are approaching the need to transition out of the swaddle but we are so scared because she loves it and is such a great sleeper. This product excites me! I definitely think we will have to order one and see if it helps the switch to no-swaddle!

Ah, how adorable! The last photo of her had me grinning from ear to ear.

Made a note of this. Actually, when I have a baby, I’m re-reading your whole blog. How’s that for pressure? ;)

• Lauren B. says

I actually just re-read her entire blog from Day 1, and it was so great and entertaining! And I’ve gotten some wonderful suggestions for products and tips from it now that I’m pregnant (see below)! You definitely should read it all!

Yet, another product I’m writing down to look into!

I got my Snoogle over the weekend, and have had a few wonderful nights’ sleep since. It’s so comfy! Thanks again for the suggestion!

Hailey is just so darn cute. Baby fever raging over here… :)

6. Elizabeth says

Please don’t take this comment the wrong way, but doesn’t the alcohol content in the beer worry you though? The fact that Hailey is also consuming it? I know you are probably just having one or two but I was just curious.

We never swaddled our little one (he never seemed to like it and would try to break free) but that looks like a good transition if we ever swaddle #2.

I don’t take it the wrong way at all- I love discussion! If I have a drink, I wait until after Hailey goes down for the night. Since she sleeps until morning, it gives my body more than enough time to get rid of the alcohol. Alcohol is absorbed in and out of breast milk in the same way as the bloodstream, so pumping and dumping doesn’t do any good except to relieve the pressure if you get engorged.
      If I have a drink earlier in the day (rare), I’ll feed Hailey from a bottle using stored breast milk.
      There was one time when I accidentally WAY overdid it (girls night with my best friends) and felt hung over in the morning. I gave her a bottle then, too, just to be safe :)

aw, how cute!! I remember that my parents used similar “PJ´s” and my brother and I love them.
    And I wanted to say that I have noticed how happy Hailey looks in every picture!!

That’s so interesting about your reaction to a couple beers! I don’t really notice a difference. I think the alcohol counteracts the effects of the brewers yeast.

I love the suit! Hailey looks so cute. And it’s nice to know that it really works! Lyric broke herself of the swaddle at 10.5 weeks when she discovered her hands so I never had to figure out how to transition. Of course now she’s cutting teeth so we don’t sleep at all!!

How cute!! Well I have been drinking beer lately cause I could use some more flow.

Your little one is so cute! Mine is going on 2 nights without a swaddle but she wakes up every 4 hours. She’s been doing it even when she had the swaddle so I figure it is normal.

At almost 7 months we still swaddle her legs. By going to worry about breaking it until it gets too warm for the extra layer.
    I’d say the moby is my favorite baby product, so comfy for both of us!

11. ErikaMC says

We had a humidifer going in our sons room (he is 6 months) but when he got Croup we got an additional warm air mister and he instantly started sleeping through the night (he had been getting up once). The Croup is gone but we still use both the humidifier and the mister – it’s been 5 weeks now and he has slept every night since.

Oh my goodness! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I don’t have any kids, so I can’t really say much about baby products. But, when I was helping with my twin nieces, they had these bouncy recliner seats that worked miracles!

Awwww she’s adorable!! That sleep suit looks great! Too bad i’m done having kids. That said, I’m still nursing my youngest (Amber 16 mos) and have found that beer does help my supply tremendously too. I prefer non-alcoholic beer because then I don’t crave lots of snacks.

We still swaddle. She was in a sleep sack for a few weeks but I started swaddling her again because she wasn’t sleeping as well. So, the swaddle (miracle blanket!) is definitely one of my favorite products. And the rock n play and the kick n play piano mat. I could go on but I’ll stop :)

Water into wine would be awesome haha.

15. Jennifer says

This sleep suit looks just like Alana’s snow suit! I call her my little pink marshmallow when she wears it. LOL. I wish I could do this but A’s room is always on the hot side. We don’t have central heat and air and her room is always 75 unless I open the window and being in New Hampshire I can’t do that just yet. Maybe I can use a lighter one.

So I used the Merlin Sleep Suit for a while and it was great but after that I had to figure out how to transition her off that because she wouldn’t sleep without it! I found out about http://www.zipadeezip.com and it’s the best invention ever! It was made to transition off of the swaddle and not the merlin suit but it worked great to transition her from the suit and for that I’m sooooo grateful! I tried putting my daughter in a traditional sleep sack after the Sleep suit and she wouldn’t fall asleep and finally I tried the Zipadee-Zip and she fell asleep for 11 hours the first night… longer than she had slept even in the Merlin Suit! It was incredible! I wondered if I was going to have to transition her off of the Zipadee-Zip too but at around 11 months I was on vacation and her Zipadee-Zip needed to be washed so I put her to sleep without it and she slept just as long as she had in her Zippy! Now she sleeps in normal PJ’s… Every once in a while I’ll put her in her 12-24 month sized Zipadee-Zip because my husband likes to keep it so cold in the house and the Zipadee-Zip keeps her hands nice and cozy…plus it keeps her from trying to climb out of her crib! Either way… This is the best product I’ve found yet because it released my little girl of all her crazy sleeping addictions! wooohooo!

• Brittany Dixon says

Haha, two years! That’s hilarious :) I still make them for new mom friends and recommend them to everyone- they’re great! I hope all is well with you!

17. Katy says

Hi, I’m Katy! So glad that I came across this chat room. I’m looking forward to talking with other moms.