Butcher Box is currently offering FREE CHICKEN FOR A YEAR. Sign up now and get 2 pounds of organic and free-range chicken breast in every box for an entire year.
I buy Butcher Box with my own money (as you’ll see in my grocery tracking), but I am also an affiliate and will get credit if you purchase through links on this page.
It took me a little time to adjust my meal planning and prep work to fit in the idea of defrosting meat. However, now it feels second nature to check the freezer, pick the cuts I want to use for the week, and plan my recipes and meals around them.
I keep my meal plan (download the template for free here under home resources) on the side of the fridge. As I make dinner each night I peek at the next day, see what protein it call for, then stick it in the fridge to thaw overnight. Read about proper defrosting here.
I check the meal plan in the morning again to see if I need to prep anything early. In case I forgot to thaw it the night before, I pull it out of the freezer and thaw it in a bowl of cold water.
It sounds a bit more labor intensive that just buying fresh each week, right? It is. I mean, I’m accustomed to the process by now, but it does take an extra mental step. So why do I choose it over just picking it up at the grocery store each week? For me, it’s mainly about the quality.
Butcher Box provides 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, free range organic chicken, humanely raised pork, and wild caught seafood. Even at the high end grocery stores, it’s necessary to read the fine print on the protein selections they offer to ensure quality (like the color added to salmon for example).
For me, getting everything from Butcher Box means one less thing I have to sort through each week. I trust the quality.
Two other factors I like about Butcher Box are:
- The convenience. It arrives at my door and I transfer it right to my freezer.
- The member specials. They send an email each month before my shipment is packed, allowing me to alter it as desired. This also gives me a chance to try out new items I haven’t before that might be on sale or packaged together at a discounted price.
- The selection. I appreciate their wide selection of everything from chicken and pork to turkey and seafood. Having so many options as a one stop shop is helpful in my streamlining.
Are you a member of interested in taking advantage of their latest sign up offer and wondering which items to try? Let me share a few of my favorites:
The Burgers. These are fantastic because you cook them directly from frozen. They are large and tasty and SIX come in a package, so there are enough in one package to feed us all. David and Hailey usually have 2, while Kaitlyn and I have 1.
The Bacon. Because it’s delicious, thicker cut bacon (some grocery store bacon is shaved so thin) but also because it’s uncured and free of added nitrates and sugar. I bake it in the oven until crispy and drain on paper towels.
The Pork Tenderloin and the Bone-In Pork Butt. It super hard to find quality pork in the grocery store. Pork tenderloin is a family favorite around here (using this marinade but subbing the sugar for a squeeze of honey) and I swear the bone-in pork butt makes the flavor so much deeper and more delicious.
The chicken is a staple in all my boxes, too. I usually buy the breasts, but have been more adventurous with using thighs lately because they have more flavor. Especially with lemon and oregano.
- I have had a couple items show up punctured. I probably shouldn’t admit this, but I’ve thawed them and used them just fine. However, if this happens to you, report it and receive either a credit or the damaged items added for free to your next box.
- To find ranchers they trust, Butcher Box sources most of their beef from Australia, and their chicken and pork from the US and Canada. Check out their sourcing page for more info. While it is from happy, grass-fed, grass-finished cows, it is not local.
I hope it’s been a helpful look into the service, and if you have any questions, please ask away in the comments.
Stephanie W says
Love this review! And we love Butcher Box and I have noticed that when thawing occasionally some items are punctured but I would never know until thawing so I always make sure to keep a plate or bowl underneath the protein we thaw. No issues here though we still LOVE the quality of the meat!