Between putting life back together after a glorious Thanksgiving and Hailey being a little on the cranky side yesterday, I didn’t get around to making a recipe to feature this week. Instead, I went with my fall staple and threw a ton of veggies in a pot and let it simmer all day for a delicious, cozy bowl of soup.
The clouds and the cooler temperatures (and let’s be honest- the Christmas music I’ve been blaring since Thursday came to a close) has me itching to get into the kitchen to bake!
In honor of Christmas cookie season, I thought I’d feature my favorite baking tips!
1. Place wax paper under cake edges before frosting it. That way it can catch all the drips. Afterwards, slide out the wax paper pieces and you’ll have a beautifully iced cake on a spotless platter!
2. Pouring molasses for gingerbread cookies can be such a pain, but if you spray the measuring cup with cooking spray first, the molasses will slide out more easily (maybe with a little help from a spatula, too)
3. Does you kitchen look like a flour bomb went off in it when you’re finished adding flour to the mixer? If your mixer doesn’t have a collar, simply drape a towel around bowl and mixer while you pour in the flour.
4. Need softened butter, but forgot to set it out ahead of time? No worries! Just place it in between two sheets of wax paper, pound with a tenderizer, then roll it with a rolling pin.
5. When using unsalted butter, save your empty wrappers and use them to grease your cookie sheets or baking pans.
Of course, don’t forget that the secret to baking is in the ingredients, so use high quality stuff (which does not include my expired baking soda- oops!) and measure carefully to ensure best results. Happy baking!
Do you have any baking tips to share?
Shabby Apple Necklace Winner is:
Congratulations! Please email me your address to Brittany@ahealthysliceoflife.com 🙂