Usually I settle in here on Monday mornings eager to share the weekend’s festivities, but there really isn’t much to share because this weekend kicked our butts. I won’t say it was worthless though, as I did learn a few things…
1. Karma does indeed always come around. I think I shouted into this universe just a few too many times that Hailey never gets sick, so viola! by Friday afternoon she had developed a nasty cough, stuffy nose and generally pathetic overall demeanor- poor thing.
2. Grocery store take-out is the way to go for a healthy, quick dinner. I grabbed a piece of salmon from the Whole Foods prepared section on Friday and it covered dinner for both girls with ease. Best of all, I didn’t have to risk getting ill again while trying to feed them. Cooking for kids while your stomach is in recovery mode is pretty much impossible.
3. Dehydration happens more easily when breastfeeding. After my food poisoning adventure (I can’t even say the word lentil without gagging… for those that asked, it was a food storage mistake and I’m pretty sure they were too old to eat, but again, gag, I can’t talk about it), I obviously was not eager to put much of anything, liquid or solid, into my stomach. By Saturday afternoon I was feeling rough again, but it took me a while to realize it was from dehydration. I had the hardest time getting anything down- ice cold fruit smoothies were about all I could handle. Again, we were a pathetic bunch this weekend.
4. Big Hero 6 is made for the whole family! Sure, it has some really sad parts (why, Disney, why must you make movies with such sad circumstances?), but we all laughed out loud a time or too. It was a perfect snuggle up/sick day movie.
5. It is possible to avoid getting sick, even while surrounded by germs. We continuously wiped down every surface, washed hands until they cracked and David popped these like candy. Somehow he made it through unscathed!
6. Soap bubbles turn you into a magician in the eyes of a child.
7. Hailey can indeed get tired of watching TV. Who knew?! By midday Sunday, she turned it off voluntarily and we all moved to the porch to get some fresh air. It wasn’t long before Kaitlyn was swinging and Hailey was running around watering our strawberry plants. The fresh air did its job and we are all almost back to 100%.
8. One positive from the weekend, somehow Kaitlyn learned how to sleep from 7pm-7:15am over the past few days. Maybe it was just a gift to me while I recovered this weekend, but I have high hopes it’s here to stay?! Happy 10 months baby girl– thanks for the gift!
Though I’m back to feeling well, after barely eating for 3 days, I’m still not very excited about food. David ate turkey sandwiches for lunch and dinner the past 2 days and I’m not sure I see that changing anytime soon. The idea of meal planning doesn’t sound fun at the moment, but I suppose the fam is going to want to eat tonight, so to the store I go…
I hope your weekend was more exciting than mine!
Did you do anything to celebrate St. Patrick’s day?
Do you have a go-to movie for sick days?