Honestly, I wondered if this was a really dumb idea for a blog post. And you know what, it probably is! Ha.
But being that I’ve never been one that is impacted by the weather much, until now, I decided yesterday, a pretty dreary day, to snap a picture of the things that made me smile. So while this is not an accurate depiction of our day (you won’t see the laundry pile or the before bed meltdowns), these are snaps of things bringing me joy right now. It was a lot of fun to focus on them for the day…
- Our Nespresso machine and my Granny’s old wooden biscuit-making bowl full of pod options. The lock down has turned me into a coffee drinker and a fresh, foamy cup in the quiet of the morning is simply the best.
- My new whale shark leggings from Waterlust. Not only are the comfortable, I love the unique print and each purchase helps fund research and educate the world on environmental conservation.
- Did I mention how much I like my quiet time each morning? A lot of time I work, but yesterday I started with a lit candle (from Sniff and Rescue, a local Lake Norman company I adore), coffee, reading a new Kristin Hannah book a girlfriend dropped off to me (already hooked…), and wrote in my Line a Day Journal (which I highly recommend, especially during this time).
- The girls’ new responsibility chart. A post on this will be up this week because you’ve asked about it so much on Instagram. It’s working SO well now that we’ve zeroed in on what motivates the girls (screen time) and it’s made our mornings run so smoothly.
- Breakfast with H and K. Our breakfast, per usual, was leisurely. Pajamas, bed head, tea, avocado toast, reading, worksheets.
- Baking banana bread. Because why the heck not. We’ve made it a few times using this two banana bread recipe and it’s so good. Not healthified in any way, but if you just want a good loaf to enjoy, this is it.
- Roasted potatoes. Aren’t they even better the next day? I heated them up stove-top with kale, red onions, and a leftover turkey burger. Topped it with sriracha. Devoured it while Kaitlyn did her reading.
- Scavenger hunts. I had some work I had to do yesterday so they went upstairs to play and ended up creating a scavenger hunt for me. The clues were misspelled and silly and it totally made my day.
- Harry Potter reading and banana bread for lunch. Though that probably led to the sugar high and crash that ensued for the kids in the afternoon…
- Surprise messages. Hailey has email now, did I tell you that? And sometimes I’ll get messages in my inbox like this. Sunshine 🙂
- When David gets home. Reinforcement is always welcomed sunshine, isn’t it?! (He’s shirtless because he goes through a whole “decontamination” sequence when he gets home from the hospital… but let’s be honest, he’s usually shirtless anyway, which is why my friends started the joke of #shirtlessDavid).
- We still play High, Low and Grateful at the dinner table, and mine and David’s bike ride was my high! We got in 6 miles, just the two of us.
- Creative kids. Hailey is into making movies using whatever basic movie making editor is on the iPad. When we biked, they decided to make a Jasmine movie and we walked back into this scene. Them playing dress up will never ever get old to me!
- Dinner! Food is always a highlight for me. Since it was Cinco de Mayo, we made fish tacos using cod from our recent Sitka Salmon delivery (you can give Sitka a try and use the code AHSL for $25 off your first delivery). I made cabbage slaw using cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, red onion, olive oil, and salt. I made a simple beer batter using salt, pepper, flour, and an IPA. David fried the fish while I made a sauce from sour cream, mayo, lime juice, and garlic powder.
- The sunshine finishes up here, unless you count that the exhausted kids went to bed early! ☀! Mad Men, chatting with David, and wrapping Kaitlyn’s birthday presents were a nice way to end the day though. I can’t believe she’ll be 6 soon!
OK, shoot me straight. Cheesiest post ever? Ah, oh well…
What is a source of sunshine in your life right now?