You’ve heard me talking lately about life being busier than usual (then again, what is usual?). I prefer to cook homemade meals because I trust what goes into those meals and I feel my best when eating wholesome ingredients. However, there isn’t always time. In those situations I am grateful to have access to frozen items that can help bridge the busy gap in a healthy way.
Frozen items often get a bad rap for being full of chemicals and high in sodium. While both of these are often true, I have found a few items that are tasty, relatively healthy and that I feel good about eating on days I need a little culinary assistance.
1. These EVOL snack-sized burritos are great! I pair them with a veggie or fruit for a balanced quick meal for myself or for Hailey. The ingredient list is short and simple enough that I feel good about using these for a snack or quick meal. These can be found at Target, among other stores.
2. Amy’s is a name I feel I can trust and I really love their meal bowls. They are balanced with whole grain, vegetables and protein (all high-quality, organic ingredients) and the teriyaki bowl is a great way to get my Japanese flavor fix without resulting to takeout. These can be found at Target, among other stores.
3. Lean Cuisines are usually picked on it the healthy eating world by people like me who used to down them daily, then learned they weren’t exactly made with wholesome ingredients. Well, now things have changed and I must say I’m impressed with the ingredient list and the delicious flavors in their Honestly Good line. The Honestly Good Lemon Grass Salmon features wild-caught salmon and a burst of fresh flavor. These can be found at Target, among other stores.
4. Fresh Market’s Roasted Veggie Thin Crust Pizza made my list not only because of it’s clean ingredients with lots of veggies, but also because it is only $4.99. You’ll need more than one to feed a family, unless you really bulk it up with sides, but I love this healthy, easy dinner for days when David works late. Then I still have leftovers for breakfast
5. These new-to-me LYFE Kitchen products are a new favorite of mine. They contain KALE for goodness sake. This LYFE Kitchen Whole Grain Pilaf mimics the type of meals I like to make for myself (grain and veggie bowls), so I really love that I have it as an option for days I don’t have the time to put one together myself. I especially love that this meal goes beyond the ‘typical’ vegetables and grains to include eggplant, kale, artichokes. quinoa and wheat berries.
Do you have a favorite frozen item that you rely on when time is tight?