Do you ever read an interesting fact and your world is forever changed? I love these little factoids, and though some are useless, I commit them to memory in hopes that someday I’ll be playing trivia and it will come in handy. Then I’ll be the team’s hero and they’ll pay for my meal out of gratitude.
Hey, I dream BIG. 😉
I thought today would be a fun day to share some of my favorites…
7. Honey is proven to be the only food that will not spoil. Good news for the jar of it that has been sitting in my pantry for almost a year now. Archeologists have even sampled honey found in ancient Egyptian tombs and found it to be edible.
Gross. …or very cool.
6. Formaldehyde is the disgusting liquid that is used to preserve dead laboratory animals. This chemical is what the artificial sweetener, aspartame, breaks down into after being eaten. I can’t remember the last time I knowingly ate any artificial sweeteners because of this little fact.
5. Adolf Hitler was a Vegetarian. Odd. Just… odd.
4. Worcestershire Sauce is made from dissolved fish. Anchovies are soaked in vinegar until they are completely dissolved, bones and all! Does this make it healthy? Omega 3s anyone?
3. The ginormous apples and oranges you’ve been seeing lately at grocery stores are pumped up due to added water volume, rather than fruit substance. This is a crop-yield technique by farmers designed to produce bigger fruit for more consumer appeal. I’ll stick to normal size fruits, thank you. Or mini versions. Check out this cute little pineapple!
2. Every time you lick a stamp, you are consuming 1/10th of a calorie. Too bad no one licks stamps anymore… but what about envelopes? I licked a ton yesterday went I sent out Christmas cards! I better get to the gym 😉
1. Refried Beans are only fried once. The name came from an error in translation. In Spanish, they are called frijoles refritos, meaning well fried beans. But since ‘re’ means ‘again’ in English, we translated it to ‘refried’. I know, I just rocked your world.
Do you know a little known fun food fact? Please share! 🙂