Last night was my first bout of pregnancy insomnia. I’m pretty happy it took this long to get here. Though I wasn’t thrilled to be awake for a couple hours during the middle of the night, I did enjoy the party baby girl was having in my belly and the time it gave me to think.
First I reflected on 2013. What a year! I feel like I’ll be saying that a lot from now on as the years fly by.
David and I took a special us-only trip the BVIs. I became a regular on WCCB Charlotte News Rising. My beautiful niece was born! We spent many days that seemed unimportant hanging out as a family and watching Hailey enjoy the outdoors. Don’t those end up being the days that mean the most later on? I learned to can pickles. We traveled to Charleston, Bald Head Island, Annapolis and Green Bay. Hailey bug turned 2! I celebrated turning 30 years old in New York, not long after finding out we were expecting baby girl #2! And the in-between was filled with many other moments with family, friends and special moments.
A few fun facts…
-A Healthy Slice of Life received over 1,500,000 views in 2013. I love you guys!
-I wrote 263 new posts, making the archive total 975 posts!
-The most viewed post was How to Naturally Cure a Sore Throat in One Day.
-Wow, I need to go edit some of those terrible selfies (cringe).
-Most people found my blog via pinterest! Who knew?
It was a great year. This morning I pulled up the goals I had written out for 2013 to see if I had accomplished them. Let’s take a look…
1. Run a race. Nope. Didn’t happen. I almost ran a 10k in the spring (um, well, I almost considered training for it), but my running fell by the wayside as I choose lower-impact exercises,like yoga, to prepare my body for what was hopefully another baby.
2. Cook with 5 new foods. I was keeping track, then my phone deleted my list! Let me think… millet, quinoa pasta… shoot I can’t think of any others!
3. Read 6 books. I actually did this once because I kept thinking my goal was 8- haha! I read Gone Girl, Blackberry Winter, Unbroken, Cooked, Killing Lincoln, Bossypants, The Power of Habit and Why is Everyone Hanging Out without Me
4. Yoga. I started strong and really enjoyed it, but it tapered off when I got I was pregnant. There aren’t any prenatal classes around me that work with childcare and my schedule. There was one, but the schedule changed, so no yoga for me for now.
5. Teach Hailey to swim. We did spend a lot of time in the pool and lake (with friends!) this past year, but she does not know how to swim on her own. Perhaps I can fit in lessons with a newborn? AH!
6. Grow something. I did! The successes included strawberries, peppers, basil, mint and dill. My garden, however, was nothing but weeds. One day…
7. Learn to can foods. Finally, yes, I did this one! Pickles!
8. Organize the blog into categories. I’m still working on it the archives (and by that I mean I need to get started on the archives), but it’s slowly happening in the left side bar.
9. Say no to things I don’t want to do. Not a very measurable goal, but I do feel I’ve improved.
So what now? Isn’t this where I list out my list of goals for 2014? Yes, usually it is. However, I’m not sure that’s the best approach for me for this upcoming year. I have 4 goals for 2014: 1. Happy, healthy baby girl. 2. Happy, healthy Hailey. 3. Happy, healthy marriage. 4. Happy, healthy me.
I don’t know what to expect as I become a mom of two, and don’t want to set myself up for failure. Instead, I will keep life (and the blog) focused on my favorites- food, fitness and family, but also create another focus at the beginning of each month and strive to improve that area of my life during that month.
For January, it’s organization. Whether it’s the new year, my cluttered house or nesting kicking in, I’m ready to get my home in order. I originally planned on following this plan of organizing the home, but as I read over the tasks, I realized they all didn’t fit my needs. So, I’m devising my own organization plan. More details to follow, but that’s enough (ok, too much) chitty chat for today. See you next year!!
What are your goals/resolutions/areas you want to focus on for 2014?