My Version of Detox

Isn’t it cliché when people look forward to the new year as a time to push the reset button and better themselves? Shouldn’t we all focus on staying healthy even through the holidays?

Well, yes, but it doesn’t always happen that way. I’ve been celebrating the holidays for approximately 11 days straight. Sure, there have been a couple runs in there, but that hardly outweighs the celebratory beverages, my eating like it’s my last meal on Earth EVERY meal (news flash Brittany, the Mayans were wrong) and the fact I’ve often choose chips and onion dip over carrots and hummus.

DSC03581

In short, I need a clean start.

I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. I’ve had time to relax with my sweet Hailey

Christmas- relaxing

and I’ve had a blast playing with my nieces and nephews.

Christmas- science magic tricks

but now I’m feeling quite “puffy” (sounds nicer than bloated, right?), my jeans aren’t comfortable in the least and I just feel blah.

Bring on 2013.

I have some personal goals (or resolutions) that I’m excited about, but I’m also starting my year off with my own form of detox. My kick-off plan is this:

15 Days of Yoga. I love the idea of yoga, but don’t get to practice much. My excuse? No studio with childcare close to me. I love Charlotte Family Yoga, but it takes me about 45 minutes to drive there and 45 back, making a single yoga class take up almost 3 hours in a day.

So what is a wannabe yogi to do? I’m getting rid of excuses and signing up for Yogavibes free 15 days trial. The site (which I came across randomly) offers online classes, so I can squeeze it in during Hailey’s nap. That’s all I know as of now, but I’ll be sharing my thoughts with you along the way as I start the 15 days tomorrow.

Eat-in Month. I’m also going to participate in Diana’s Eat-in-Month. She’s very clear that you should tailor the challenge to fit your needs, so my version is that all meals consumed in January are to be made at home, with 2 dinner out passes- David’s birthday and a freebie.

I’m looking forward to this challenge to not only get our budget back on track, but hopefully to try some new recipes and to get my butt back in my jeans again, too. Winking smile

Sorry to disappoint the hardcore detox people, but there is no way I could survive on a concoction of lemon juice and cayenne pepper for more than a few hours. I’m hoping this kick start will refocus my eating and exercise habits and leave me feeling healthy, energized and ready to take on 2013 and all it’s glory!

How are you feeling after the holidays?

Care to join me in the 15 days of yoga or eating in month?

Share on Facebook2Tweet about this on Twitter8Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

I am with you on both of them. I haven’t heard of yogavibes but I will check it out today because I would like to bump up my yoga & pilates. I like the whole eat-in challenge. We usually grab dinner out at least once a week so saying that we are given two dinners out will help us save money and get me more experience in the kitchen. Have a wonderful 2013!!
    Karen recently posted..Snow, Snow, SNOW!!My Profile

I’m needing to get back on track, too. Obviously I’m not going to be dieting, since I’m pregnant. I just need to get my behind to the grocery store and pick up plenty of HEALTHY foods. I’ve eaten my weight in candy, cookies, and other goodies over the last 10 days. I enjoyed every second, but now I’m ready for some veggies! :)
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pregnancy Update: Weeks 25 and 26My Profile

3. Stefanie says

I signed up for New Year, New You Healthy Eating workshop. It’s a 6 week online course designed to promote healthier choices in foods but with a realistic attitude (dessert is not forbidden). The woman running it is an R.D. In West Virginia and teaches classes at WVU.
    Registration is open until jan 4 and it’s only $10 if you or anyone you know might be interested. This link should go to the public event on FB:

We have visitors through tomorrow, but luckily my sister in law has been a great running buddy and pushed me to 5.6 miles this morning! However, health eating hasn’t exactly been happening. I’m ready to jump back on the healthy eating bandwagon with both feet tomorrow!

Tight jeans: check. Bloating: check. Feeling blegh: check. I’m in!

I start a new job on January 7th, so after I get my routine down, I’m going to start scheduling more workouts at the gym and eating a little less Chick Fil A :)

I am in the exact same boat! I’m feeling very “puffy” after the past few weeks (month even maybe)…It’s time to focus on WHY I make healthy eating choices so that I’m motivated to FEEL good. Right now I’m focusing on one meal/snack at a time :)
    Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..2012 in review…My Profile

Check, check, check on tight clothes and feeling bloated. Too much goodies (lucky I don’t do alcohol, would have been disastrous)

I can do the month of eat in very easily (though I would be cheating as I normally can go months without eating out)

My new year goal – clean and healthy eating, more exercise (getting a jimp start by signing up for a month of bootcamp)
    Mrs FF recently posted..A New Year…My Profile

I do indulge during the holidays, but all things in moderation. I feel it’s a time to celebrate, but not use it as an excuse to let go of control. I think it’s great to start the year with a detox though.

Michelle Foster