Mommy & Me Meals (8 Months Old)

I’ve mentioned how Hailey (now at 8 months old) is eating some serious meals. I feel like I spend my whole day feeding her between solids and nursing, but I love it. I’m still fascinated at the thought that she is a little human and eating real food. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to be a good little eater!

Baby Breakfast

8 month old meals- breakfast- baby led weaning

Baby cakes, made with whole wheat flour, egg, almond milk, chia seeds, cinnamon and blueberries (organic).

Mom Breakfast

WIAW- shakeology

I tried the Shakeology sample I was sent, and YUM. I didn’t add as much liquid as it called for, just some almond milk, 1/2 a frozen banana and a spoonful of peanut butter, so it turned out thick and exactly like chocolate pudding. It was freaking delicious, and more impressively kept me full.

Baby Lunch

8 month old meals- lunch- baby led weaning

Shredded chicken (organic, free-range), broccoli (frozen organic), and grape tomatoes (organic).

*I’m only noting organic items because people ask, not because I think it must all be organic. I strive to feed Hailey organic when I can (which is usually at home), but don’t think all organic all the time is feasible for us.

8 month old meals- baby led weaning

Mom Lunch

WIAW- barley bowl

I love barley. I made a large batch to eat this week and this bowl consists of massaged kale, barley, roasted carrots, roasted zucchini, roasted onions, grape tomatoes and herb goat cheese, drizzled with Newman’s Light Balsamic (my go-to dressing).

WIAW- BBQ chicken openface

Plus a slice of toasted sourdough, topped with broccoli slaw and shredded BBQ chicken.

Pre-Yoga Mom Snack

WIAW- chobani pom seeds Love Grown granola

Apple cinnamon Chobani with dried pomegranate seeds and LOVE Grown granola.

Charlotte Family Yoga

I love that David goes with me when he can. He jokes about his chi and his practice, but there’s no denying that it feels darn good!

Baby Dinner

8 month old meals- dinner- baby led weaning

Roasted carrots (organic) and zucchini (organic) with spinach and cheese whole wheat ravioli.

Mom Dinner

WIAW- dinner prep

WIAW- dinner

Grilled salmon with lemon and fresh dill from the backyard (it grows wild and like a weed!), roasted carrots and onions, sautéed kale and lemon orzo with spinach and tomatoes.

Baby Dessert

8 month old meals- dessert- baby led weaning

Peaches (local, not organic). The peaches, blueberries and watermelon I’ve gotten lately has been so, super summery sweet! It’s like baby crack. Hailey can down a ridiculous amount of it.

Now keep growing, garden, because I need some help supplementing all the produce!

Any baby food questions?

Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

1. Christina says

Hi Brittany! Question for you on baby feeding….my daughter is 4 1/2 months old and we plan to start introducing solids in a few weeks. I’m really confused over the best way to start introducing solids, when to start giving her small meals (vs. little tastes), when to start giving her less milk (she’s formula-fed) because she’s getting more nutrition from solids, etc etc. Was there a particular book you consulted, or a source you found particularly helpful? Thanks!

To be honest, I kind of just slowly worked my way through it and did what felt right for H and me. I started with one “meal” of solids a day, usually late afternoon about an hour after she nursed. Since I did the BLW approach, very little food made it down at first, but as we kept up the routine, more and more started going down and her pincer grip got better. Once she was eating a decent amount, I tried another meal, and so on. I always nurse her first, then give solids a little while afterwards since breast milk or formula should be their main source of nutrition and food should start off as exploration! I also always gave/give her tastes of food I’m eating when appropriate.
      Are you doing purees? Or BLW? Or both? Just make sure she’s able to sit up well before trying BLW. As long as you’re feeding her good first foods (like sweet potato), you won’t mess anything up. Just go for it and play around and see what works for you. I’ve had so much fun watching H try new foods! Hope this helped some??

She’s going to grow up to be such a great eater!

Even though you said your peaches are local, not organic, they still may be “organic.” If you get them at the farmers market, you can just ask around to find a grower who doesn’t use pesticides!

3. Sara says

I have the same question as Christina, only difference is Ashton is breastfed (not sure if that matters or not.)

Another question, I used to drink a lot of protein shakes before getting pregnant, but read while pregnant or breastfeeding you should stay away from these drinks because there was a study that all of them had traces of toxic metals that can be passed to the baby. Do you know if that is the case for Shakeology products?

Being that I never drink protein shakes, this freaked me out! So I wrote Kelly (who I got the sample from) and here was her response:

I drank Shakeology while nursing and pregnant with 2 of my kiddos – didn’t have it when I was pregnant/nursing my first or it would have been with all three. The nutritionist, Dr. Wheeler (who was also nutritionist to many of our presidents), who helped formulate shakeology says absolutely, it is 100% safe for pregnant & nursing moms. He explained that it is ALL NATURAL with over 70 different fruits & veggies. No artificial ingredients. It is a Holistic meal, and in fact, one of the best things pregnant & nursing moms can put in their bodies. Traditional medical doctors will not waste their time or energy to look into Shakeology, therefore they might not recommend drinking it and say to wait until after nursing. HOWEVER, any doctor willing to look at the all natural ingredients and learn more about Shakeology WILL recommend it. Women have to stand confident in their belief and do what they feel is right. Doctors are only going to give a general “no” based on all “protein drinks” and this is not just a protein drink!

Thanks for bringing this up! :)

Not going to lie, I’m super jealous by how well Hailey eats! Wyatt still doesn’t love solids. I think we’re going to need to move to a more BLW approach soon and see how that goes!

Oh my gosh, your lunch and dinner look amazing! You have fantastic meals! Those little baby cakes look intriguing. Did you create that recipe yourself? That’s awesome your husband goes to yoga with you! I also appreciate your honesty about organic- I go back and forth on whether I should try to be organic all of the time with Lula and I’ve got to agree, I suspect it won’t always work out. Enjoy the day!

Your meals look great! I drink Chocolate Shakeology everyday and love it! I add 2 cups ice, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/3 banana, 1 Tbsp flax seed, 1/2 cup spinach, and 2 tsp almond butter. So yummy and keeps me full :)

Those breakfast baby cakes look SO yummy!

Love that you tried Shakeology – I’ve drank it for about 2 years now. I have all the flavors if you want to try them, too. :)

LOVE THESE POSTS.

I love watching how fascinating and fun food is for them right now. I haven’t given Raffi pancakes (babycakes) or ravioli yet because of his, ahem, digestive issues, but maybe soon? I hope so.

Do you cook the peaches for H? I bought a peach for Raffi but I am scared to give it to him raw because it isn’t super soft.

I’ve lucked out with some really ripe peaches, so I just dice them into small pieces and give them to her. Whats going on with R’s digestion? Upsetting it with crawling all over? He’s adorable! No crawling over here yet. I have a cautious scooter on my hands ;)

I love how colourful your lunch and dinner are! I’ve heard good thinks about shakeology, what are the ingredients like? That’s great it kept you full! Smoothie never ever keep my full is I use them as a meal replacement

I want to investigate further, but Shakeology is all natural with over 70 different fruits & veggies in it. No artificial ingredients. At first glance (and taste) I’m pretty impressed!

10. Krista says

Wow I just realized how much H looks like her daddy! That pic of him in the car looks SO much like her.

I love the mommy and me edition if wiaw! Keep em coming :)
    You are lucky Hailey is a good eater. Those babycakes look good. I have to try those for my daughter. Also which ravioli do you get for Hailey.

This is just so super cute,Brittany!
    Hailey is so adorable,and it’s so exciting that she’s finally starting to it “serious” meals! She’s truly lucky to hae a mom who gives her healthy and delicious food at the same time. :)

I love how you have shown here you and baby’s meals. I’m sure that this way you will inspire so many moms to feed their children the healthy foods as well.

14. Jen says

Great post! She is so adorable! While my intent was to do a combo of home-made purées and BLW, Maya only is interested in being spoon-fed purées, lol. I have tried putting sticks of steamed sweet potato or carrots on her tray, but she has no interest in them–and if I hand them to her, he just mashes them in her fingers, and doesn’t move them to her mouth. She also hasn’t quite figured out to chew (it gum) get foods yet–if I give her anything chunky, she pushes it to the back of her mouth and gags (she is a few days older than H). Any tips on more success with non-purées? Maybe she is just not ready–or just prefers to be spoon-fed!

I love having an adventurous little eater! We started Sam on the BLW approach around 6 months and haven’t looked back since. He eats everything! We’ll have to try your baby cakes. I think Momma will like them, too!