Detailed Weekly Menu & Grocery Haul (November)

Friday evening, David’s parents, Mema and Grandpa, arrived! We knew it was only for a quick visit, so Saturday we wanted to squeeze in some fun. We decided to be wild and take the boat out for a bit.

vizsla lake norman

It was cloudy and slightly cool, but the lake is always beautiful and the passengers were happy.

mema and hailey

We cruised for a bit, admiring some of Lake Norman’s finest.

beautiful lkn home

Then we came to a sputtering stop. It turns out we had a leak in our gas line. Luckily with two engineers on board and with the help of a friendly neighbor, David and his dad patched it up, allowing us to get home. During the down time, we played some games  to entertain ourselves.

grandpa and hailey

On a side note, I just can’t believe how big Hailey is getting. Where’s that pause button again?

hailey on boat

The afternoon brought football, the most ridiculous, lucky happenstance I’ve ever seen in college football, a painful loss to Auburn that Georgia deserved to win, oh… and chili!

chili and football

I promise there is chili behind those Fritos Scoops and under my pile of toppings. But is there any other way to eat chili? I think not.

Sunday meant meal planning and grocery shopping. Even at 15 weeks pregnant, I still sometimes find it difficult to pick out a week’s worth of meals. I feel good, with only random bouts of queasiness, but my appetite clearly isn’t still completely normal. Nonetheless, I powered through and am excited for what this week brings.

Sunday- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits

Monday- Broccoli and Cheddar Soup with Crusty Bread

Tuesday- Slow Cooker Chana Masala over Brown Rice with Naan (new-to-me recipe)

Wednesday- Grilled Steak Sliders with Crunchy Lemon Garlic Green Beans

Thursday- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole with Salad (new-to-me recipe)

Friday- Veggie Pizza and Salad

Breakfasts- veggie eggs on bagels, oatmeal, tangerines

Lunches- leftover soup, salads,

homemade chicken noodle and cheddar buttermilk biscuits

I played around with the chicken noodle soup recipe, and the secret is definitely in simmering a whole chicken to make your own broth! The biscuits, however, were step-by-step from Jenna’s Cheddar Chive Biscuit recipe. David LOVED them.

grocery list november 2013

For the food, I hit up 3 of my favorite spots.

josh's farmers market

Josh’s Farmers Market

$21.26

josh's farmers market - weekly haul

then to satisfy my current bagel kick…

NY Bagel Mooresville

NY Bagels

$11.73

(This buys 1 dozen bagels and 1/2 lb of house cream cheese. I freeze half of the bagels for the following week. It’s a pretty good deal!)

NY Bagel Mooresville - weekly haul

And finally, my love…

Healthy Home Market Davidson

Healthy Home Market

$63.82

Healthy Home Market Davidson - weekly haul

Thanks to a fresh delivery of FIVE DOZEN farm-fresh eggs from my friend, Jeff (thank you!!!), this week’s grocery total was $96.81.

The only thing I couldn’t find were parsnips. No biggie.

Which store or market is your favorite to going grocery shopping?

Why?

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

That pic of her with grandma is ridiculously cute!

I love shopping at Publix and Fresh Market. I wish I could afford to get all my produce from our farmers market on the weekend but it’s about double what it is in the stores!
    Erica recently posted..I think I broke my footMy Profile

• Brittany Dixon says

That’s so crazy to me because our farmers market is so much cheaper than any grocery store. Wish it was the same everywhere!

• Brittany Dixon says

We do mainly meals around here. If she snacks then she doesn’t eat as well at meal time. The exceptions are on days I go to the gym, I pack her a snack because everyone eats one (usually craisins and pretzels) or on playgroup days once a week when she eats all sorts of things. She never eats a good dinner those nights!

Honest question? Do you make Hailey wear a life jacket anytime she is on the boat? I’m currently in the middle of an argument with my husband over this.

• Brittany Dixon says

During the summer, yes. In fact, I wouldn’t let her on the dock without one. On Saturday, I didn’t. We brought it with us, but it was such a short outing and we held her most of the time.

3. Christina says

I love Wegman’s! Do they have those near you? They have an amazing selection, awesome bulk bins, and the prepared foods section is to die for! I go every Friday (my day off) and it is worth the 25 min drive!

• Brittany Dixon says

Sadly, no!! I’ve contemplatied driving hours just to visit one because I hear they are amazing. One day… :)

My favorite place to shop is Publix (a) because it is less than 5 minutes from my house and (b) they have a pretty good selection of produce, healthy/organic stuff. I love Whole Foods, but we cannot afford to buy all of our groceries there. I usually save that for specialty items and special occasions.

Even though I am an Auburn graduate/fan, my condolences on the game. I know that was a TOUGH one for my UGA friends to swallow. We were there, and it was super fun for the Auburn side of the house, but I felt bad for UGA (well, as much as you can for an opposing team)! They really fought hard and came alive that 2nd half. Such a classic rivalry.
    Marjorie recently posted..Weekend Recap – Our Trip to the Auburn/Georgia GameMy Profile

• Brittany Dixon says

Haha! Yes, it is a classic rivalry. I know the mature thing to do is shake hands and say good game, but clearly I’m still bitter. ;) I blame the pregnancy hormones! What a crazy and great game to be at!

Hailey’s hat is adorable!

I rotate my favorite stores: Trader Joe’s, Sprout’s, and Whole Foods (occasionally Target for shelf items). We have a huge farmer’s markets here but they aren’t located in easy-to-get-to spots (parking is a hassle), so I pass, sadly.

Also, always impressed by your weekly menus. They are more like monthly ones for me :)
    Maria recently posted..Just Buy Some New ClothesMy Profile

I think that’s my store rotation too (are you located in San Diego? ;) ). Although, we are also getting a CSA farm box every two weeks, which I love – it forces me to go outside of my comfort zone (fennel, persimmons, someone tell me what to do with them, please!).
      Susan recently posted..Exploring Our City: La JollaMy Profile

Close! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Great farmer’s markets, but so crowded and difficult to find parking. Now that it’s winter though, I buy a lot of my produce frozen – just as good and supposedly just as healthy too.
        Maria recently posted..Just Buy Some New ClothesMy Profile

I really like shopping at the following: Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods & Target. Target is for things I can’t get at TJ’s or WFs but it’s also a dangerous store for me…ha-ha.
    Karen recently posted..MIMMMy Profile

I honestly just like shopping at Kroger. I love Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods but I feel like I can’t get everything I need at TJ’s and WF is too expensive.

8. kristi says

I made that chicken and wild rice casserole last night, it looked so good! Unfortunately it came out watery and pretty bland. I think I can make some tweaks – double the cream soup portion and omitting the 15oz of broth, add breadcrumbs and/or cheese on top, and take the foil off for the last 10 or 15mins.

I hope yours comes out better!!