This hearty, classic chili with a slight kick of heat is the perfect food for fall.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, 1 deseeded and 1 with seeds, finely chopped
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 can Rotel
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1–2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Topping options- sour cream, cheddar cheese, chives, chopped red onion
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and sausage until browned. Drain and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and peppers. Saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- To large pot, add the drained and rinsed beans, Rotel, diced tomatoes, 1 can of tomato paste, bay leaves, chili powder and cumin. Mix thoroughly.
- Add drained meat and mix again. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Let simmer for a minimum of 1-1/2 hours. For added thickness, add additional can of tomato paste.
- Serve warm with toppings.