This veggie-loaded, simple crockpot black bean soup is great for a hearty vegetarian dinner.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 2.5 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2.5 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Toppings: sour cream, cilantro, scallions, avocado, red onion, Greek yogurt
- Soak black beans overnight. Make sure they are covered by at least an inch of water.
- In the morning, prep all vegetables, rinse the black beans and add all ingredients except the lime juice to the crockpot.
- Set on low for 12 hours.
- When ready to eat, use immersion blender or regular blender to puree until desired consistency is achieved (I like to leave it a little chunky).
- Stir in lime juice, add salt and pepper to taste and serve with your favorite toppings and tortilla chips.
It takes the full 12 hours for the beans to cook, which makes it a great recipe for a full day out of the house. But if you need it done more quickly, crank it up to high for a couple hours until the beans are soft. You won’t overcook it.