This slightly-sweet and very satisfying carrot cake inspired cookie is a great treat to bring new moms, as it helps stimulate milk production thanks to the addition of Brewer’s yeast and rolled oats.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Brewer’s yeast
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed until liquid
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat, then add the pecans. Stir occasionally for 2-5 minutes until the nuts are toasted, then remove them from the heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and Brewer’s yeast.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg, sugar, vanilla and coconut oil. Slowly mix in dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Stir in carrots, raisins and toasted pecans.
- Spoon tablespoon-sized scoops onto an ungreased cookie sheet and form into flat round cookie-shaped discs.
- Bake 8-10 minutes and let cool.
You will taste the Brewer’s yeast in these cookies. If it’s too strong, you can decrease the amount to 1 Tbsp, but remember that it’s the key to stimulating milk production, so you need to keep it in!
You can mix this by hand, but you’ll find it easier to get the ingredients blended properly if you use a mixer.
Watch the pecans carefully while toasting them — they burn easily!