These kid-approved freezer burritos will satiate your family with their delicious, southwestern flavor and a hearty blend of macros from brown rice and pinto beans. Make a batch to keep in the freezer for those busy days when you need a quick and healthy grab-and-go meal!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup corn (frozen or canned will work)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 cup pinto beans (canned or cooked from dried)
- 4 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 8 large, burrito-sized tortillas
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and red pepper. Cook 3 minutes then add garlic. Cook an additional 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add red pepper, corn, brown rice, pinto beans, taco seasoning and salsa. Mix well and allow to cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Squeeze in lime juice and mix in cilantro. Allow mixture to cool completely.
- Taking one tortilla at a time, place 1/4 cup shredded cheese and 1/2 cup of bean and rice mixture. Roll, tuck in sides, and finish rolling, then place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining 7 burritos, then place entire baking sheet in freezer for 2-3 hours, until frozen solid. At this point you an wrap them individually in tinfoil or transfer them all to a large Ziplock bag for safe keeping.
- To eat: wrap the burrito in a paper towel. Heat in microwave for 1 minute, then flip it over and heat for an additional 30 seconds-1 minute until heated through. Enjoy!