This millet porridge recipe is a delicious option for a highly nutritious, yet delicious and kid-friendly breakfast. Top with fresh berries, a sprinkle of chia seeds, and a drizzle of maple syrup to make it a fast household favorite!
1 Tbsp butter (use vegan butter to make recipe vegan)
1 c uncooked millet
2 c coconut milk, unsweetened
1 c water
1/8 tsp salt
maple syrup, toasted pecans and raspberries for topping
- In a coffee grinder, pulse the millet until it’s a half grain/half flour consistency.
- Heat a pan over medium low heat and melt the butter.
- Stir in the millet and toast for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the coconut milk, water, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Millet should be a porridge-like consistency without any remaining hard or crunchy pieces. If the grains are not soft, add a little coconut milk and continue to cook until desired consistency is reached.
- Top with toasted pecans, blueberries, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
*I liked this best with coconut milk, but any liquid (including all water) will work.