This fresh and brightly-flavored Greek salad makes an excellent spring time side dish or a simple main course with the addition of grilled shrimp or chicken.
I was counting on yesterday being a big catch up day, but surprise, Hailey’s cough was still a little too deep for my comfort. Her fever was gone and her energy was up, but I figured one more day at home would be best, just to play it safe. Still, I knew I had to get some food so I loaded the girls up for a grocery haul. They were thrilled!
That is Hailey’s wait, we aren’t just going to sit and watch movies all day? face.
She actually was more chipper than she appears, and we managed some outdoor fun because it was an incredible day out in North Carolina- 76 and sunny. And the evening was just as breathtaking.
Luckily my appetite returned yesterday, though it was still rather particular about what it would accept into my stomach. Fresh and light were on the agenda. Surprisingly salad sounded good, as did another ice cold smoothie and finally, a craving for some flavor.
Oh man do I love this flavor combination. Inspiration for this salad is taken directly from my mom, who makes a similar delicious lettuce-less side salad for my Greek daddio. I have Greek in my genes too, and I just can’t resist anything with Kalamata olives and feta.
Now today isn’t a Greek holiday though, so in honor of my Irish roots (I come from families of both McCarey and Kilpatrick), there is some GREEN in the salad too! I mean, did you see the cucumber?
Yes, yes, it’s a bit of a stretch, but still, the salad is delicious. Let’s just go with it…
ευτυχισμένος St. Patrick's Day!
- For the Salad
- 8 oz pasta of choice (I used bowtie), cooked and cooled
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, diced
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- For the Dressing
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Cook pasta according to directions on the package. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop cooking. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp on olive oil and toss to coat to prevent pasta from sticking.
- While pasta cooks, wash and prep salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Serve room temperature or chilled.