I’ve shared a LOT about how much I love thredUP, an online consignment store. Since last November, I’ve placed multiple orders for both myself and the girls. It’s honestly a godsend for kids’ clothes! You can filter by size, brand, color, etc and the savings are pretty impressive.
Beyond kids’ clothes, they also have women’s clothes, maternity (brilliant!), shoes, handbags, and a designer section. All at great prices. I’ve been sold on the buying end for sometime, but one area I’ve heard a lot of criticism on is selling clothes to ThredUP.
I’ve sent them clothes 3 times, making $4.45, $33.20, and $46.15 respectively.
This past time, I decided to take a closer look at the process and results so I could report back my thoughts.
The Process to Sell Clothes with ThredUP
I ordered my clean out kit in the beginning of July. They sent me the large, prepaid bag. Immediately I mailed it back filled with 40 items, a mix of my and the girls’ clothes. They received it July 14 and I received an email saying it would be processed by August 8. Roughly 3 weeks! Apparently they’ve received a ton of bags lately.
It did not end up taking that long though, as on July 19th I got an email telling me it had been processed. They ended up accepting 24 items from my bag (60%) and paid me upfront $46.15. The other 40% of my items were recycled.
The above picture lists the items they kept, in case you are curious on which brands they accepted.
They are very clear about their standards for accepting items. They also are upfront in the fact that they usually keep about 40% of the items they receive overall because they have high standards. They must defect-free, on-trend, in-season, and name-brand. Here is the list of name brands they will accept.
If you’d like a better idea of what your clothes will earn, you can check out their earnings estimating calculator.
The clothes they do not accept from your bag are either returned to you for a fee of $9.99 or ThredUp does one of two things: 1. They sell clothes that are in good shape but not up to ThredUp standards to 3rd party sellers OR 2. they are recycled and re-purposed into useful products like carpet and pillow stuffing.
Both the girls’ dresses above came from ThredUp and are in excellent condition (Hanna Andersson and Baby Gap).
So to answer the major question at hand:
Would I sell with ThredUp again?
I would. However, I have my expectations pretty low, I will still probably continue to give to Goodwill most of all, but if I have the occasional few nice items that I just don’t wear, I would send it in to ThredUp. At the very least it would help support my buying habit. I would not, however, send any clothes in that I would want to get back if they did not accept. Paying $10 to get my clothes returned wipes out any benefit of earnings in my book.
I definitely will be buying more clothes from ThredUP though. I actually have a polka-dot box on its way to me as I type. Getting ready for back to school, with this dress for Hailey and a few additional items as well. Oh Hanna Andersson, I love you. Now if only I could find a matching pair of these on ThredUp for the girls.
Interested in using ThredUP yourself?
If you are interested in shopping, use my referral link and get $10 towards you first purchase. You can probably buy 1 if not 2 items on that credit alone! In full disclosure, I will also get a $10 credit to go towards supporting my ThredUp habit.
Have you used ThredUp for buying or selling clothes?
What was your experience like?
Do you like to shop consignment?