We are 5 weeks in and things are starting to settle down. No real routine yet, though predictable patterns are starting to emerge and my confidence in taking care of two is more steady. We get to venture out to the pediatrician today and I can’t wait to get an update on Kaitlyn’s stats!
As I reflect on the past 5 weeks, I realize there are a few items that really helped make things easier. I wrote a similar post on my baby favorites when Hailey was a couple months old, and some of those still ring true (I love my boppy!), but others don’t apply (Kaitlyn does not seem into pacifiers).
Though I stand by my statement that there is very little you need for a baby, here are 5 items I’m loving this go ‘round…
1. Aden & Anais Classic Muslin Swaddle Blankets– These blankets are the best because they are big, gauzy and have a little stretch. We use them for swaddling, as a breastfeeding cover (they are so light that they allow so air through which is nice, especially in summer heat), as a tummy time blanket and more.
2. The Boppy Lounger. I forgot how handy it is to have a place to put the baby down in almost every room, especially when you have a toddler that needs some help from time to time too. The lounger is a great little spot because it keeps baby’s head elevated, which Kaitlyn loves because she can look around and see what’s going on.
3. White Noise App. I know I keep mentioning it, but it’s because I use it every single day. I love the different options for noise. White noise is a bit harsher sounding and works wonderfully to help calm Kailtyn down, then the air conditioner sound is softer and perfect for back ground noise or to help lull her to sleep. There is a timer to set so it turns itself off and even has a baby monitor feature that will restart the noise if the baby cries.
4. Moses Basket. We are using the same Moses Basket and stand that we did with Hailey and again, it works great! Kaitlyn sleeps right beside our bed. I like the fact that it’s a flat sleeping surface to hopefully make the transition into the crib go more smoothly. I originally got it so I could carry it around the house with my while she was napping buuuuuut yeah, that never happens.
5. The Carseat Canopy. This was a gift from a friend and I absolutely love it. It stays attached to the carseat and is easy to flip over to cover the whole thing (great for blocking out sunshine for naps without having to rig a blanket to stay put). I also use it in stores to keep touchy hands from reaching for the baby. And a bonus? It’s really cute! I’ve been stopped several times and asked about it. It would make a great, unique baby shower gift.
*Bonus Favorite- A mother’s helper. Yesterday I had a neighborhood girl come over in the morning for 3 glorious hours to watch/play with Hailey. Since she is young (11 years old), she really does a great job of connecting and playing with Hailey. I of course stayed home with them, but with only having Kaitlyn to worry about yesterday morning, I was able to get SO much done. She is now set up to come once a week for 3 hours through summer and I won’t lie, I’m giddy!
Moms, weigh in!
What was your FAVORITE newborn must have?