Second Pregnancy Confessions

Hey y’all! I’m thrilled to hear most people like the new look and I heard you loud and clear on the ‘read more’ feature. It’s dunzo. And the font should be darker now, too. Thanks for the feedback! I’m still working on (and honestly probably will be for weeks) categorizing old posts (which is why no baby posts will show up right now- they haven’t been sorted yet) and working on recipes. Thanks for hanging with me. I’m trying to get all of it done before baby girl arrives.

Speaking of, it’s really hard for me to fathom that I’m almost 33 weeks pregnant. After having to be induced at 10 days past due with Hailey, I have no grand illusions that this baby will come on the early side, but you never know. Still, I am rather far along in pregnancy at this point and have some things I feel like I just need to confess to…

second pregnancy confessions

1. It’s really hard to stay motivated to workout at this point. For me, working out isn’t something I do because I love it so much. Sure, I enjoy the endorphin high afterwards, but I’m very results driven. I like seeing progress: faster speed, being able to lift heavier weights, more toned legs, etc. Well, at 33 weeks pregnant, I’m obviously not seeing results (and I shouldn’t be). Honestly, sometimes I just feel tired. I’m keeping up the charade for two reasons: gym child care is a little break for mommy and I know exercise is good for the baby. I’m proud of myself for keeping up some form of working out and marvel at those late pregnancy runners and crossfitters, but for me, it’s walks, the stair stepper and short strength circuits.

2. I wonder if I’m savoring this pregnancy enough. I’m not one that often clicks on those viral facebook posts about how we need to be more present with our kids because every day they get a little older and they will never be this young again and one day we will be old and alone and crying because no one needs us anymore. Seriously? Who needs that kind of guilt and pressure? I do everything I can to savor the moments while also, you know, running our household and working some on the side. It’s a lot.

Still, I am pretty certain this will be my last pregnancy and I am humbled by what the body can do. I catch glimpses of myself in the mirror and can’t believe it’s me. I want to set a little time aside to marvel at it. I want to focus on those tickles and kicks that occur simultaneously on opposite sides of my belly. I want to enjoy the favors from strangers that open my doors and even laugh at the moments when someone parks too close to me and I have to crawl through the passenger side (happened more than once!). I want to commit to memory the sweetness that is Hailey wanting to kiss her baby sister and insisting on needing a bare belly to do so. I love how she always wants to give her a kiss smack dab in the middle of my stretched out belly button. Sure, I cringe at the sight of it, but man, it’s sweet.

3. Chic shoes are a thing of the past. Don’t be under any illusion that when I’m not pregnant I rock stilettos and fashionable flats. I don’t. But I’ve noticed now that I really need supportive shoes. I’m on my feet for a large chunk of the day and if I’m wearing anything besides my NAOTS or my new Vionic shoes, I regret it before dinner time. Without proper support, my feet throb and my back aches.

Vionic by Orthaheel sent me a pair of their Zen Walkers to try out as part of their Walkabout campaign, in which they partnered with Dr. Andrew Weil and fitness trainer Juliet Kaska. It’s a cool initiative that is encouraging people to get in at least 30 minutes of walking a day, a goal I support, so check it out!

vionic zen walkers

My honest review is… I love them. The color wouldn’t be my first choice and my pair is probably a half size too big, but I wore them all yesterday, including a two mile walk and a marathon house-cleaning session, and my feet cheered. They offer serious support.

4. I still have so much to do. For the sake of lighting a fire under my butt, let’s take a look: clean the nursery, wash and put away baby clothes, buy diapers, get a keepsake bin for all of Hailey’s stuff I’ve set aside in piles, get a present for the baby from Hailey and vice versa, finish up some freezer meals, order my breast pump, get a hair cut, dry clean the bumpers for the crib, pull all the baby stuff down from storage to clean, install the car seat, get a coming home outfit, clean bottles and parts, set up the Moses basket, figure out what I’ll need for the hospital and pack a bag, oh yeah… NAME OUR DAUGHTER. You know, just a few things.

5. Shaving my legs is now a circus-worthy act. And it doesn’t happen all that often. Another thing? Do you think the doctor just asks for a urine sample at this point to get a good giggle at the mental image of a largely pregnant woman trying to hold a cup under herself? I’m sorry if that’s TMI, but seriously?

6. I might be doing too much. I don’t list off everything going on in my life on here because… well, you’d be bored to tears. However, just like in your lives I’m sure, there is so much to be done and I’m scurrying as fast as I can to do it all. However, this past Saturday I noticed a serious uptick in Braxton Hick contractions, as in, they were coming about every 5-10 minutes. They didn’t hurt, but the continuous tightening was really frustrating. I called my friend, who happens to be an OB, and she said “yeah, you need to seriously chill out. Drink some water and lay down.” I did for the entire evening and night, and they were gone the next day! However, they returned yesterday. I know I need to relax some, but I’m just not quite sure how to while still getting through my to dos.

All that being said, I’m excited. I’m giddy about being in the home stretch of pregnancy, meeting our daughter, watching Hailey become a big sister and learning to be a family of four. I’m realizing that life will go on if not everything gets done… buuuuuut I really ought to at least grab some newborn diapers! ;)

Do you have anything to confess to or get off your chest lately?

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter1Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

1. Jenny says

Hi there,

I’ve been following along with your pregnancy though never commented before (not sure why!) I’m due the same day as you also with a little girl so it’s fun to check in and see how you’re doing. First off I think you’re doing an awesome job of trying to balance health, taking care of Hailey, growing a little one, and resting. No one does it just right! Most importantly, listen to your body and that sounds like it’s exactly what you’re doing.

When you do feel up to it, definitely keep up with your workouts whatever they may be. This is my first pregnancy and I took the first three months off from crossfitting and anything other than light strength training, swimming, and walking a few times per week because of being so sick. Then when I was feeling much better in the second trimester I started back up, very slowly and very modified. Now I can’t imagine having not come back to CF and being more active because it helps me sleep, feel less, moody, be less uncomfortable, crave healthier foods, etc the list goes on and on. Obviously everyone is different but there are so many benefits that if you CAN keep up your workouts (with no counter indications) I highly recommend it! :D

Oh man, I’m definitely not savoring this pregnancy! I’m not a fan of being pregnant and I’m OK with that. :)

Ahh thanks for including the list of what’s left to do! Definitely some things I forgot – oops!
    Jen recently posted..Pregnancy update: week 35My Profile

I seriously marvel at all that you do! And that is just what we see on the blog! I’m like how does she get that much done!?

OMG the urine samples at this stage were TOTALLY circus worthy…LOL!
    Marjorie recently posted..Weekly Weigh InMy Profile

4. Tiffany says

Love the confessions. I can especially relate to #4. While I am ready now (39wks5days today!), I was SO not ready with everything until the last couple of weeks. It started to actually make me really anxious in case the baby did arrive early. We finally pulled out our baby stuff, bought newborn diapers, and worked hard on coming up with a name (we did not have one until…37 or 38wks..ack!). The only advice I have is to try to get the more necessary stuff done to ease your mind. Leaving alot undone doesn’t help you relax like you need to if you’re having braxton hicks at this point. Take care of yourself!!

I’m thinking about taking a part-time job outside the house and I’m really nervous about it. I finally feel like our family has a good new normal with a baby (a year later) and I’m scared to mess that up. It’s an acupuncture job and I think it would be wonderful for both me and our family’s growth, but it’s still a little scary!
    Ali recently posted..Natal to Nest Barre Class ReviewMy Profile

6. Katrina says

I love your honesty. I hope you get all of that savouring time, and some down time. Goodness girlie, you sound like the pregnant Energizer Bunny! lol
    It’ll all fall into place, have an awesome day! :)

7. lauren says

You’re doing such a great job! I lost the motivation for “real” workouts when I was pregnant once I couldn’t run comfortably anymore (each step made me want a bathroom break!). I walked and yoga’d til the end though.
    Now that my son is here, 8 mos now! I am having a lot of trouble getting back into it. Back into a normal daily schedule, back into cooking meals from scratch and baking healthy treats, back into my old workouts, back into my old clothes (alllllmost). It’s really hard not to compare then and now. Now is better for so many reasons :) I love my son more than I could ever express. But still, I sometimes find myself comparing how I used to be able to do x, y or z – and easily.
    You really have a great handle on things!

• Brittany Dixon says

Oh Lauren, I understand! A child (wonderfully) turns life upside down, so it’s no wonder it takes a while to find a new groove. You are only 8 months in, while I’m 2.5 years, so if you want to feel better, check in with me in about 2 months when I’m barely functioning trying to figure out how to balance two ;)

We are just starting to try for baby number two for us and I completely dread the peeing in the cup thing again. I had completely forgotten about that and how horribly awkward it is! But I totally agree, I think they have to get a good laugh out of it because it’s an impossibly, horrible task!
    Becca recently posted..Mommy & MeMy Profile

I love the new look! Girl.. you are doing great with your 2nd pregnancy. I wish that I could come over and have a cup of tea with you and chat. I too, wonder if I’m not savoring this time enough… and I KNOW I’m doing too much. My stress levels tell me so. However, I do know that we are only human…
    Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..Kale and Quinoa Power BowlMy Profile

I hear ya loud and clear with the workout thing. I never want to workout unless it’s doing something for me that I can see! Maybe think about how you are keeping/gaining muscle and that will make labor easier (this might be a myth, what do I know?) and you’ll bounce back a lot quicker during recovery. Either way, you are doing something and you should feel proud!
    Maria recently posted..Easy Crockpot Pulled Chicken BBQMy Profile

11. Paulina says

I love the new layout on your blog! I’ve been busy and haven’t back to read it in a week.

I agree with your ob friend, take it easy girl. I had the same bh contractions when I did too much. You know life will get crazy for a bit when she’s born, try and chill out more these last few weeks while you still have a chance :-)
    My confession is that lately my toddler wants to wear her pajamas all day and if we’re not going anywhere I let her.

• Brittany Dixon says

I’ve let H wear hers even if we are going somewhere, so you’re doing better than me ;)

And yes, I know I should enjoy this sleep and routine while I can. It’s like I’ve completely blocked out the reality of life with a newborn. I know it will rock my world!

12. Jana says

Thank you for fixing the read more “thing!” I can’t stand looking at a blog on the home page and having to click read more in order to finish that post! So thank you very much…..makes it easier to read for sure!!!!

• Brittany Dixon says

Happy that it made it better! My goal was to make it more user friendly, so I appreciate the feedback! :)

First of all, LOVE the new look for the blog! I took a hiatus from blogland for a couple weeks and it seems like everyone is changing up their designs, haha.

Second of all, I really like those shoes and might look into them. I’m not pregnant (nor intending to be!), but my feet are flat and pronate really badly, so that kind of support might be perfect for me.

And lastly, I love these updates. Even as someone who’s not a mama or pregnant, I think it’s fascinating. Love your transparency and how you share the quirky truths about life when you’re growing a mini-human. ;) Be well, friend!
    Domi @ Eat, Pray, Lift recently posted..No Thigh Gap? No Problem.My Profile

• Brittany Dixon says

My feet are the same way! Mine are flat and I pronate, making it hard to get away with wearing non-supportive cutesy shoes. If you get a chance to try them out, let me know what you think! And thanks for the design complement- it’s been a lot of work but I’m excited about it :) Have good one!

Aquaphor Newborn Healing Creams Leading-edge Healing Pores and skin ProtectantTender formula for the delicate skin of new born, soothes in addition to protects dried up, chapped, damaged skin layers and helps avoid chafing, together with dry skin layers due to wind, chilly or even dried up airSoothes red-colored, aggravated noses and also cheeks caused by a cool weather or drool rashDefends to assist recover small wounds, scratches in addition to burnsReleives diaper rash as little as six hrsMay also be used to prevent diaper rash before it starts and to help make diaper alter clean up less complicated!