A Rainy Weekend in Charleston

Oh man, was it a rainy weekend in Charleston. The rain was solid and steady. I wore my rain boots more this weekend than I have in the past year.

Charleston- rainy weekend

But don’t even begin to think that it hindered our fun. We bundled up and played tourist (Ok, I guess it isn’t playing tourist if you are a tourist). I felt a little cheesy getting a carriage tour of the battery, but ended up loving it.

Charleston- horse tour

I’m becoming quite the history nerd and I could listen to stories of historic Charleston all day long. Oh, and eat. I could eat in Charleston all day long, too. And did.

Charleston- Poogan's Porch

We hit up Poogan’s Porch for lunch. Like many restaurants, it’s in an old building, rich with history. And full of delicious smells.

Charleston- Poogan's Porch brisket

I went with one of the specials- brisket, asparagus and cheddar potato cake. I find you can’t go wrong with choosing a special, and this was no exception.

Charleston- rainy

Our group had high spirits (and a few liquid spirits, too) and trudged through the rain. Mom, Hailey and I visited the aquarium.

Charleston- aquarium fish

It is a modest size, but a very good aquarium. I loved the outdoor sections with a full view of the river and the bridge.

Charleston- aquarium- outside

They even have a touch tank! Hailey isn’t a fan of getting her hands dirty, so I wasn’t sure what she would think, but she dived right in.

Charleston- aquarium- touch tank

So proud. We ventured over to Sullivan’s Island for lunch one day.

Charleston-Sullivan's Island- Poe's Tavern

After all, we couldn’t pass up Poe’s!

Charleston- Sullivan's Island- Poe's fish tacos

Through tempted by their famous burgers, I opted for the mahi-mahi tacos, then went halvsies with mom and her burger. She’s great to have around for many reasons, but one of the best is that she’s always up for sharing food Smile

Days turned into nights and Hailey found herself out to eat past her bedtime, which is incredibly rare for her. She wasn’t quite what was going on.

Charleston- late night

Well, Charleston is famous for its ghosts, so clearly every toddler needs to go on a tour of the haunted jail, right?

Charleston- haunted jail tour

It wasn’t scary and she was fine, so no “bad parenting” looks, k? Winking smile

The weekend wrapped up with a delicious breakfast. I begged everyone to come with me to Page’s Okra Grill in Mount Pleasant because I remembered it being fantastic.

Charleston- mt pleasant- page's okra grill

My memory did not fail me.

Charleston- mt pleasant- Page's Okra Grill pancakes

Blueberry pecan pancakes and crispy bacon. Yessssss. Mom a got an omelet and again, we shared. It was glorious. Hailey ate bacon dipped in butter, and I promised my Aunt Lynn I would disclose it. How is that for a Munchkin Meal??

Breakfast filled us up and we hit the road. Hailey was asleep in 5 minutes. I think the weekend wore her out in the most wonderful way!

Charleston- girls at Page' okra grill

Girls weekends rock.

If I could choose one place to live other than where I am, it would be Charleston SC or Boulder CO. I can’t decide!

If you could choose one place to live, where would it be?

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest4Google+0

Comments

1. Kelly W says

Looks like you had fun! If I had to choose, it would be either Martha’s Vineyard, Celebration FL or Key West, FL.

2. Jessie says

I have always wanted to visit Charleston!! We live in Ft Collins, CO but most of my mom’s family lives in Boulder so I consider it my second home. Half hippie/half yuppie but I love it!

Question: I know Hailey is a phenomenal sleeper at home, is she as great when traveling? I always find that Lyric’s sleep gets so messed up whenever we leave home.

You live in Ft Collins?? Awesome. My good friend’s sister lives out there. So beautiful! I love the half yuppie/half hippie. I feel like that describes me more than I care to admit ;)

She’s pretty good when traveling. We shared a room, so it was a little more challenging this time, but she did great in the pack and play. Sleeping at night was great, but Naps were more hit or miss. She didn’t nap as long or as soundly.

Looks like a great trip! How fun!

If I could choose where to live…..I don’t know! I don’t think I’ve visited enough cities. lol. I do love San Francisco, but I think it’d have to be on the out skirts. I’m not a fan of super loud neighbors.
    Kelli H recently posted..Two Tastings in HealdsburgMy Profile

Your rain boots are so cute! I love the brightness of them!
    Haha, the haunted jail sounds like fun, we have ghost tours where I live around halloween time and um, they are interesting to say the least;)
    Looks like a great weekend, despite the rainy conditions!
    Lisa recently posted..Little Bits Of HappyMy Profile

I buy very cute rainboots just so I can avoid rainy day blues. :)

And you are right, the special usually is the best thing on the menu!

Looks like such a fun weekend. I wish I could say I had been to Charleston more than once in my life. I’d love to go back. I think I’ve lived in the place I’d most want to–Austin–although I hear I’d love Seattle a whole bunch.

So glad you and the girls had a fun weekend. The girls in my family are planning a girl’s weekend in the summer. I think we will just be spending the weekend in the city as we all live in suburbs outside the city or maybe we will take a little couple hour car ride. If I could pick one place to live, without a doubt it would be Southern California, either, Marina Del Rey or Laguna Beach. As long as there is a beach, I am there. Have a wonderful week.
    Karen recently posted..Just Another Manic Monday…My Profile

HOly cow all those restaurant meals look amazing! I just went over my food expenses for the month of feb and realized we have not gone out to a single meal all month (besides a quick airport meal). I need to go out and have a lovely meal presented to me without having to cook or do dishes :)
    lindsay @ fuelmyfamily recently posted..Meals for the WeekMy Profile

8. emily s says

In a perfect world wherein we had lotsa $$$$ and could fly multiple times a year back to the states…Sydney, Australia. Just the best mix of city and beach
    We honeymooned there. It’s just sooooo far away

We’re heading to Charleston this weekend for the Food & Wine Fest, and one of the events is being held in the old “haunted” jail! I’m so excited!

I love all of your recommendations and we may have to hit up a few of these yummy restaurants :) And Charleston would DEFINITELY be where I’d want to live if I could choose anywhere. I truly feel home whenever I go there, and I just imagine living there is such a relaxing little life!
    Alexa @ Southern Living, Our Way recently posted..Surprise Shenanigans!My Profile

Such a fun weekend with all your favorite ladies! Your rain boots are absolutely adorable.

If I could pick one place to live (out of places I’ve been); It would be back to Virginia Beach. Joshua & I lived there before moving out here to Kuwait, and just loved it!
    Jessie recently posted..New Recipe: Eggplant JamMy Profile

Glad the rain didn’t spoil your trip. You guys stayed busy! Love that you checked out Poogan’s Porch as well! So good, right?! :) We’ve been on those ghost tours before too. Definitely more creepy than scary, but I thought it was fun just because of all the history involved!

If I could live anywhere else, I’d like to live in California. I’ve always been an East Coast girl and I think it would be so fun an adventurous to give the west coast a try!
    Avery @ YoungAspirations recently posted..Restore Conference, Biscuit Flop and a Recipe!My Profile

You should definitely stick with Charleston. It is literally the best city ever. We just moved from there 5 months ago and we are counting down the days (we still have 4 more years) until we move back. It was so refreshing to see hit up all of our favorites – we lived right down the street from Page’s. We are going back in a few weeks for the Cooper River Bridge run and I can’t wait for all of the restaurants. Next time you have to find a place called Mozzo in Mt. Pleasant, two shopping center’s down from Page’s. It is the best place ever – the bacon, egg and cheese bagel (any much more) is to die for. Mmmmm . . .
    Lindsay @ Health Foragers recently posted..100 Push Up Challenge ResultsMy Profile