Munchkin Meals : 15 Months Old

Welcome to another Munchkin Meals! This is Hailey’s 15 month version, so please remember to put your child’s age in the title of your link up. Ok, here we go…

15 month eating has been mostly smooth sailing for Hailey. I haven’t hit a picky eating road block yet and she seems to enjoy most things I give her. The only trouble has been with her pesky molars that are breaking through. I can tell the bother her sometimes and during those times she doesn’t eat as much as usual.

So what is usual?

munchkin meals- 15 months- breakfast 2

It varies. Usually she has smaller portions of whatever I am having. Above is oatmeal and grapefruit, and as you can see, she prefers to use the spoon herself now.

munchkin meals- 15 months- breakfast

She always begins her day saying na-na-na (banana). She eats one every morning as I get her breakfast ready, usually around 8:15am.

As with all meals, it all depends what is in the fridge. I really try to make sure she has a variety of fruits and vegetables each day and throughout the week. I also focus on ensuring there is protein and fat in ever meal.

munchkin meals- 15 months- lunch

Above are pepper sticks with hummus, black-eyed peas with diced tomatoes and avocado. Confession- I sprinkle a little salt on her avocado. She loves it.

She also is loving the spoon. I feel so guilty that I hadn’t given her one to play with until a few days ago when Mema brought her some new ones because now she loves it. Not only that, she’s pretty good at it, too!

munchkin meals- 15 months- spoon

Hailey eats lunch around 11:30 and then naps for 2 hours. When she wakes up, she is ready for a snack. I won’t lie, I heavily rely on quick and easy snacks- cheese sticks, apples, pears and pouches.

munchkin meals- 15 months- plum organic pouch

Those dang pouches are just so convenient. I really like the Plum Organic brand because they have fruit, veggie and grain combos, like the one above.

I also need to mention milk. You would never know that Hailey started off not liking milk because now she can’t get enough. When she wants it, she reaches up to the fridge, grabs hold of the handles and cries. Clearly we need to work on the word MILK to correct this.

munchkin meals- 15 months- milk

She drinks around 14-16 ounces a day.

Dinner time is at 6:00 and mimics whatever we eat. However, on days when we eat something like spicy shrimp salad, she clearly eats differently. This usually means a quick fix, like melty cheese on a whole wheat deli thin, frozen peas (she prefers them frozen) and tomatoes.

munchkin meals- 15 months- dinner

Sometimes I drizzle a little olive oil over the tomatoes and sprinkle them with pepper. It adds a bit of healthy fat and flavor that Hailey loves.

munchkin meals- 15 months- olive oil

What are your kiddos eating?

Share on Facebook3Tweet about this on Twitter11Pin on Pinterest16Google+0

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

I’m amazed everytime! You are so lucky she is a perfect eater! I’m definitely doing BLW next time. 15 months is a good age to start putting a fork/spoon on her tray, don’t beat yourself up ;) You could start giving her a real cup to play with too (with a small amt of water.) xo

2. Emily Sutton says

Isn’t it funny about the milk thing? I fuh-reaked out when Parker wouldn’t drink much milk in the beginning – and now he LOVES it – about 16 oz. a day. I am going to remind myself to tell all moms not to worry about the transition from breastmilk to cow’s milk.

I thought H was going to be that way, too, and even then I wasn’t too worried. I know a lot of healthy kids that were never big milk drinkers. Does he like cheese or yogurt?

3. Kate says

I love seeing what other kiddos are eating! I’ve gotten some great ideas from these linkups. I don’t have a blog, but I recently started making a pasta and veggie dish that my 12-month old LOVES for lunch or dinner. It’s easy to make, and I freeze the leftovers in the old Beaba trays I used to use when I would puree fruits and veggies a couple months back. So here goes….

Pasta & Veggie Medley

Orzo
    Vegetable broth
    Fresh garlic
    Fresh or frozen veggies (I usually use fresh carrots, broccoli, kale and zucchini)
    Salt & pepper to taste

I chop the veggies and then cook all the ingredients in one pot in vegetable broth, then add just a touch of salt and pepper. So good (and healthy!) and my little one can’t get enough. I also love it because it’s so easy to freeze.

Confession. When I was little (3,4,5), I’d play “dog” with my brother and he would feed me frozen peas out of a bowl on the floor. I loved them. Perhaps H is just as weird as me? Poor thing.

I just saw an article today for toddler food. It was about a NYC-based company that delivers organic, fresh toddler food door to door for a whopping $18 per MEAL. Insane.

Your meals for H look so simple and easy, so I can’t imagine why anyone couldn’t do that themselves!
    Maria recently posted..Healthy Lunch Ideas & Lunch Box ShoppingMy Profile

$18 a MEAL? How the heck can anyone afford that?? Plus toddlers sometimes throw half on the floor. I’d have to sit down there and eat the leftovers. HA!

5. Kate says

As for the pasta dish, most of the broth cooks off; there’s just a little bit of broth left, which is good for freezing purposes (the dish doesn’t dry out when it’s reheated). Hope that Hailey enjoys it if you decide to give it a whirl!

Confession: Seriously jealous of how well she eats! My kids would freak the freak out if I gave them pepper strips and hummus…ugh. Baby steps, when I only buy healthy foods, that’s what they eat, but I still worry they won’t like things.
    Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily recently posted..2013 GoalsMy Profile

haha, is it funny that i totally want that dinner you featured? it looks good! must be the carbaholic in me loving that bread. i love her little sliced avocado and celery with hummus too in her lunch. i also wake up each morning wanting a banana, how funny :P
    Caitlin recently posted..Floridian BlendsMy Profile

Thanks so much for hosting! I’m excited that I was finally able to contribute a post! It’s part of my New Years resolutions to continue putting up a monthly munchkin meals post with you! I love that she eats raw pepper slices too – Ben can’t figure out what to do with them!

9. Priya says

These Munchkin meals are easy and glad found this blog. I had a question. How many ounces of milk do you give your DD?

10. Emily says

Brittany…what kind of oatmeal do you give hailey? Are you still giving her baby brand oatmeal (gerber, earths best, beechnut, etc) or “adult” oatmeal (Quaker, natures path, etc). I’m trying to figure out at 14 months what I should be giving. My daughter loves her oatmeal and eats it twice a day. She’s such a fussy little thing!!! Your response is greatly appreciated!!!

11. Brittany Dixon says

I actually never used baby-specific oatmeal. I used regular oats and for convenience, I love Love Grown Foods’ quick cook oat cups. Of course, do what you feel is right for the age and stage of your daughter :)

12. Emily says

Thanks Brittany. I’m wanting to give her plain oats because I hate all the added stuff in baby oatmeal that they write off as vitamins.. I’ve read some of it is preservatives. I’m worried about plain oats lacking iron since I have a very picky eater on my hands. Have you ever cooked for Hailey with wheatgerm? Thinking about sprinkling some of that into the oats. I’m definitely stressed she’s not getting the nutrients and vitamins she needs. Also…do you give Hailey a vitamin supplement? The pediatricians always push it but many moms I speak to dont give it. Thanks a ton.

• Brittany Dixon says

I have used wheatgerm with her before, though not regularly. And instead of a regular vitamin, she gets Juice Plus, same as me! :)