Setting Sail

Have I ever mentioned how David and I have a dream to be on a boat?

wiaw- sailboat

Not just any boat, but a big boat. A catamaran.

annapolis boat show 2013- trampoline

And I guess not just be on one, but to possibly live on one for a period of time?

Well, it’s true. The exact details of the plan are a little uncertain, but the plan itself is not.

Annapolis Boat Show 2013- Lagoon 450 front

I certainly have my reservations about the plan, but it may not be what you think.

Won’t you be sea sick? – Eh, maybe.

Won’t you miss your family? – We won’t be as out of touch as everyone may think.

Won’t it be tough living in such tight quarters? – I look forward to the coziness!

Annapolis Boat Show 2013- Fountain Pajot Helia salon

But what reallllly gets to me? The food limitations.

WIAW- balanced breakfast

Wheat bagel thin, fried egg with veggie cream cheese and salsa. Butter pecan cookie and half caf on the side.

Talk about #firstworldproblems, right? But it’s true. I can overlook the fact that we won’t have a dishwasher and that my countertop space will be virtually nonexistent.

annapolis boat show 3012- fountain pijot 39 galley

But when it comes to food, I’m really spoiled. Really.

wiaw- leftover tikka masala

Leftover chicken tikka masala over brown rice and spinach.

For example, I doubt I’ll be eating much Indian food for lunch unless we sail to India, which isn’t in the plan. Well, not the first phase, at least Winking smile

wiaw- jack's special salsa

Jack’s salsa and holiday pretzels.

I might luck out finding salsa in general- but good luck finding the delicious Jack’s special salsa, right?

I’d like to look at the whole thing as an adventure and be excited about trying the local fare of wherever we happen to be. But I’m not sure how long I can do that before missing the comforts of home. After all, David had to eat guinea pig when he was in Ecuador and that doesn’t exactly wet my whistle.

wiaw- turkey meatballs and sqaghetti squash

Crockpot turkey meatballs over spaghetti squash.

However, as with all life adventures, you figure it out as you go. We aren’t exactly ready to hop aboard next week, so we have some time. In the meantime, I plan on sharpening the heck out of my meal planning skills and perfecting my ability to load provisions without wasting an inch of space! I’m up for an adventure, as long as I can bring my kale with me! Winking smile

And if all else fails, it would make for an interesting WIAW, right?

DSC00704

What would you miss most if you were to set sail for a year?

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter9Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

1. Hanna says

I would love to set sail for a year! My family has always had a sail boat, but it was a monohull. I love sailing. My high school boyfriend’s family is huge into sailing, especially big catamarans. They actually built a 40 ft boat!

2. Andrea says

If you decide to set sail, bring your pressure cooker. They’re great for boats! Fagor even makes a marine specific one. :)

3. Whitney says

My inlaws have a 60 foot Viking yacht that we have been on trips in and let me tell you I wouldn’t miss a thing. It’s pretty much a badass house on water with everything you need! It is such a simple way of living and I love how relaxed it is. I would become an islander and never look back! haha

Would you happen to need a nanny to sail with you? I know of a good one (cough, me, cough).

And I can sub in as a skipper, too. Every boat needs one.

Adorable pictures of you and Haley! I would get so sea sick if we were on a boat that long! I get sea sick just being on a boat for 10 minutes! I would miss solid ground, good food, and my digestion because everything I ate would come right back up! Sorry, TMI but so true for me!
    Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted..What I ate WednesdayMy Profile

6. Lauren says

I hear you on the sailing thing, my husband and I would LOVE to do it sometime in our lives, probably when we’re retired. We spend a lot of time on boats now but we live in Australia and there are islands nearby we can sail to and stay for weeks.

What an incredible life experience, for you and your children. They would learn so much! You can go for runs at different stops along the way, and you’d find ways to be creative with local fresh produce wherever you are.

I really want to do it, it’s on my bucket list :)

P.S. If you guys do ever do it, be sure to come to Australia to visit!!

Lauren

7. Kim says

OMG, sounds awesome. My honey and I are always joking and ask people, “Do you know where Gilligan’s Island is”, because we would love to set sail and never return, just kidding, but sailing around the world sounds like such an experience. I would plan my meals around what is available fresh from wherever you are and pack the staples. Can’t wait to hear more details.