A Day with a 13 Month Old

I haven’t done an update on what my day with Hailey looks like since she was 7 months old, so I’m taking this WIAW opportunity to go into the details of our day. Now that she’s a busy toddler that only naps once a day, our schedule looks quite different!

6:00am- my alarm goes off. I roll out of bed, throw on my robe, feed Koda and go to the office. For two hours I blog, answer emails, do some social media work and try not to get too sucked into reading blogs, otherwise I’d never get anything done.

8:00am- Hailey is ready to get up. She actually wakes up around 7:30, but plays quietly until 8. I go in, nurse, snuggle, change her diaper and get her dressed while she tells me about her dreams. Too bad I can’t understand her babble, because she always sounds very excited about them! We head downstairs.

busy 13 month old

8:20am- We listen to Pandora Toddler Radio and I make breakfast while Hailey explores the fridge, loads and unload the Tupperware cabinet and plays with Koda. Then, we eat.

day in the life 13 months- breakfast

Breakfast burrito, a banana and cup of decaf with Pumpkin Spice

9:00am- Breakfast is over. I clean up Hailey, the dishes and change her diaper. She plays in my room while I get dressed. Then, we’re off to the gym.

day in the life 13 months- gym

10:45am- Workout done and we’re headed back home. I focus on making sure she doesn’t nod off on the ride home. This is crucial to get a good nap at home in! The only thing that works is rolling down the window. We get home and play outside for a minute while Koda roams.

11:15am- I start on making lunch. Then, we eat together.

day in the life 13 months- lunch part 2

Leftover vegetable beef and barley soup

day in the life 13 months- lunch part 1

Vegetable stir fry with kidney beans over brown rice with feta

Clean up Hailey, clean up dishes, watch Koda clean up the high chair. Upstairs we go to change her diaper, then Hailey goes down for a nap around noon.

12:00pm-2:00pm- Nap time! Hailey snoozes while I catch up on computer stuff, laundry, cleaning, phone calls, etc.

2:00pm- Hailey wakes up and hands me her pacifiers when I go to get her. She always grabs all three and hands them to me with a smile. It’s pretty cute! I change her diaper and head downstairs.

2:15pm- Snack time. Hailey has a snack while I eat a handful of Blue Diamond Habanero BBQ almonds, carrots and hummus. Un-pictured because I am too busy chasing Hailey around and picking up the cabinet contents that she has thrown about the kitchen.

2:45pm- We go on a long walk with some neighborhood friends.

day in the life 13 months- walk

Hailey demands to hold the leash when we walk. She’s discontent unless she’s able to help “walk” Koda. I think it’s pretty funny.

4:00pm- Back home, we play in the yard as the sun starts to go down. Or if we need to run errands, we usually go around this time.

day in the life 13 months- outside play

4:45pm- Playroom time! Hailey practices walking, we read books, stack blocks, wrestle with Koda and load and unload the toy bin.

5:30pm- To the kitchen with the radio on again while I make dinner for Hailey.

5:50pm- Hailey eats dinner while I sit with her, sort through our kitchen table which collects mail and other junk at an alarming pace or prep our dinner.

6:30pm- Bath time! Followed by reading or singing and snuggles and she’s down by 7:00.

13 month old after bath

7:00pm- I make dinner for David and me and we usually eat around 7:45. After clean up, we spend time either catching up on work, chatting on the couch or watching a show.

13 month old schedule- dinner

Indian lentil soup and pepper jack “grilled” cheese on a wheat hamburger bun

10:00pm- bed time! Lather, rinse and repeat.

This is a typical day for us at home. We often have story time or a play date in the morning, which switches my gym time to after her nap. I also am making a concerted effort to make sure my time with Hailey is focused on her and not spent playing on my phone while being with her. It can be challenging with a whole electronic world at my finger tips, so I often leave my phone in another room and enjoy the simple pleasure of spending time with my daughter.

Being a stay at home mom is wonderful and I feel blessed to have this opportunity, but some days it is hard to make sure I keep an identity outside of being a mom. Play dates with other moms help a lot! Also, with less nap time, I find myself waking up earlier and earlier to get “me” stuff done. Luckily, it’s getting easier everyday to pop out of bed and I find I’m much more productive in the mornings than the afternoons, so that works well!

I feel like I mostly have this one child routine down… Lord help me when I have two. I don’t know how you moms do it!

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

Is this Pandora Toddler radio a station or a CD you play?
    - We don’t have dedicated radio stations to kids.
    Then, the picture of your little girl and hubby, in the background I can see a canvas photo on the fireplace. I LOVE IT! I want to do that as well in our home with us as a family on it. Stunning.

Thanks Marleen! I got the canvas done not too long ago and love it. I want to do a few more for other rooms in the house!
      As for Pandora, it’s a web-based radio that you make your own station on. I have a station called toddler radio and we get a mix of kid songs, Disney songs and oldies… just because I love oldies :)

2. Hanna says

What a fun day!! Having two kids is twice the fun as having one. You’ll see! What is your email address? I emailed you late last week, but I think I may have the wrong email. Thanks!

I’d love to write about it as there are definitely some struggles. Nothing major, but it’s easy to feel isolated. Maybe I will go into it at some point- thanks for the suggestion :)

Sounds very similar to when I was a full time nanny to three (!) children. I only lasted a few months because I was just completely and utterly exhausted…so hats off to you – this stay at home mom thing I know looks a LOT easier than it is!

Nanny to 3?! Rock star. And thanks for the kudos. I love what I do more than anything, but it doesn’t mean it’s always a walk in the park (literally or figuratively) ;)

Great post! I love to see how others days are with similar aged kiddos.

Couple questions: 1)when does Hailey drink milk (from a bottle at all or just sippy cups)? 2)Any idea how many ounces she drinks a day between her morning nursing and her banana milk?

Molly is still really addicted to her bottles and she has to have them when she wakes up from her naps. I estimate she is still drinking around 28ounces a day! Not sure how to wean her off.
    Hallie@ChasingHallie recently posted..Trick-or-TreatMy Profile

Hailey drinks milk from straw cups (no bottles or sippies) throughout the day. I’ve weaned her from banana milk (WAHOO!) and she drinks about 6-8 ounces of whole milk each day.
      I know some recommend more or less, but I feel comfortable with the amount since she also eats cheese and yogurt quite often.

Wow, thats a big gap from where Molly is w/total ounces of formula/milk (we are currently mixing).

M eats 3 meals, 2 snacks AND all that formula/milk. I think my kid is just a lil eater! haha

At a total loss with how to reduce and get her off the bottle. : (
        Hallie@ChasingHallie recently posted..Trick-or-TreatMy Profile

Awe! She’s so so cute! And what a fabulous way to spend your days! Being at home with your child must be such a blessing! Mom’s work so hard. Even when I nannied, I would come home exhausted after only working about 6 hours. She’s getting so big, and I’m also loving that duck attire; precious.
    Lisa recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

If there is one thing I’m grateful for, it’s her sleep. I’m scared as can be at the thought of future child #2 not sleeping. I’m terribly grumpy when I’m tired- haha!

6. Keri says

I love these posts! It makes me feel like we’re on track:) my little guy turned one on 10/20. Our day looks just like your’s, except B wakes between 6-7 (up at 7) and still takes two naps most days. Love having semi-predictable days! I’m looking forward to exclusive one nap days.

7. Tricia says

Hailey wakes at 8?! I’m so envious. My 9 month old goes to bed at 7 and wakes between 5 and 6. Did you do any sort of “sleep training”? I would love to know!!

I always stuck to the eat, play, sleep rule, but other than that, I didn’t do any real training. We loved the swaddle for the first 5 months which is what I think might have helped her develop good sleep habits, too. However, I won’t kid myself into thinking it’s anything fabulous that I did- I think I got lucky with a good sleeper!

8. lauren says

That looks like such a great day. I know you call yourself a SAHM, but it seems like you’re also a WFHM, blogging and getting things done for your business.
    I’m 5 weeks pregnant now and I’m seriously freaking out a little about how I’ll get all this done working full time. Things are going to have to change for sure, as I’m not even home in time for a reasonable (baby) dinnertime. Yikes. It’s going to be a learning process for sure :) I’ll be going back and re-reading your pregnancy posts, back then is when I started reading your blog!

Congratulations on your pregnancy, Lauren!!
      It will definitely be an adjustment, but you’ll be surprised how you end up working things out. It will rock your world in the most amazing way :)

9. Muna says

I love these posts!! My daughter is just 2 months behind Hailey and still takes 2 naps. I just started the weaning process and oh my god it is challenging! She will not drink milk for her sippy/straw cup. She will drink water but not milk! I tried whole milk, banana milk and soy milk. But no luck so far! I had a question. When do you usually give Hailey milk? And how many times a day?

I full one cup with 8 ounces of milk and offer it to her throughout the day- mostly meal times and before bed.

Good luck with figuring out the milk- it can be so challenging! :)

10. Amanda says

So great that you transitioned from banana milk! Are you still nursing? My daughter is 12months and I am still nursing three times per day. I would like to wean more but she hates whole milk!

I am still nursing in the mornings, but have a feeling we’ll be done very soon. Like you, I was nervous to wean until she was ok with drinking a bit more milk. Kudos to you for still going 3x a day!

11. Kelli says

As a fellow stay at home mom to two (6 & 7) this being the first year they are both gone all day I miss them terribly but I love how you appreciate that you are a SAHM and admit its tough! I love it!

12. Elizabeth says

Thank you for this post! I used to feel like I wasn’t doing “enough” by being a stay at home mom but I am SO content with my decision that I’ve quit feeling bad about it. Seeing how our schedules are similar helps me to feel ok with the amount of work i do in a day. I believe it is important to do as you said and give the baby your undivided attention sometimes but I was so used to the rush of a working job that I felt like I was wasting time if I wasn’t busying myself. Reading your blog encourages me to remember the fun in living. I laughed so hard when I saw the picture of Hailey holding Koda’s leash! :D