Post Baby Body: 8 Months Postpartum

Another month down, another pound loss! Wait, not so fast. I’ve always said I’d be real with you guys, so here’s the truth. This month went in the other direction.

8 months postpartum- front view

I’m 8 months postpartum (and embracing my wavy hair).

8 months postpartum- side view

And my measurements are UP. Full disclosure…

7 months pp 8 months pp difference
right bicep 10.5” 10.5” 0
waist 27” 28” +1”
around belly button 29” 29.5” +.5”
hips 36.5” 36.5” 0
right thigh 21” 21.5” +.5”
right calf 12.5” 12.5” 0
weight 112 115 +3 lbs

So the grand question is… am I freaking out? I mean, 3 pounds in one month?!

Nope.

I used to live and die by the scale and gradually it’s become less and less important. I am curious as to why, of course, because I don’t want to trend to continue when I’ve worked so hard. Here are some thoughts.

-Exercise? I was doing Tina’s Boot Camp 5 days a week before the last weigh in. Lately, I’ve been about 3-4 days a week. Honestly, 3-4 days a week is more realistic for me to keep up with long term.

-Food? Actually, this hasn’t really changed much, so I don’t have extra sweets or eating out to blame.

-Being a woman? This. At 8 months postpartum, I still haven’t gotten my cycle back despite the fact that Hailey’s been sleeping through the night since… well, about 4 weeks old. I hear some women don’t get it back until they quit breastfeeding entirely, but the past month I’ve felt a lot of the telltale symptoms that things may be kicking back in gear.  That includes bloating. Constantly. Ugh.

8 months postpartum- side view b

Long story short, I’m not exactly sure why I’m up, but my plan is to keep on keepin’ on.

Exercise: Making sure I hit 4 days a week. Once being hot yoga.

Food: Stop messing with my diet (I’m PALEO! I’m eating on the cheap!) and just eat healthy. Striving for that 90% that I usually strive for.

So there’s the truth.

How do you deal with a set back?

If you’ve had a baby, when did you get your cycle back? Did you breastfeed? Did you know it was coming?

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

With my son, my cycle came back at 8 months. My daughter is 7 months and I feel like my cycle will be returning soon. It’s hard to tell though. It’s hard dealing with set backs. I’m back to where I was but not where I want to be. I know I need to try harder but my daughter still isn’t sleeping through the night yet, and I’ve been too tired to care that much. Not a good excuse.

2. Sarah says

No experience yet, either, but I would live to know what you decided to do about birth control next? Did you ever write a follow-up post?

I keep meaning to write a follow up, but I haven’t because I still haven’t chosen a method! I know. I just keep hoping that my cycle will come back so I can try charting. I explored with my ob about different bc options and I just don’t like any of them. I’ve been close to getting the mini pill because we aren’t ready for #2 right now, but I just keep holding off, hoping my cycle will return. So, nothing to report!

I did the mini-pill, and here I am 7 years later still using it. I tried to transition back to the regular pill at one point, but I ended up going back to the mini because of unpleasant side effects.

• Jen says

Don’t mean to freak you out, but if you’re not on any birth control, is it possible you’re…pregnant? Nursing isn’t 100% effective as bc, and you’d get pregnant before your period comes.
        Also, maybe the extra weight is from the muscle you gained doing strength training!

Haha, I’ve already allowed myself to freak out about that possibility, but after a preg test or two, I know I’m not. Plus, we’ve been careful with barrier methods ;)

3. Stefanie says

I love the wavy hair! I’m trying to embrace mine more this summer instead of busting out the straightening iron every morning. But I’ve never been much of a girly girl and have NO idea how to style it or what to do with it. So what looks curly/wavy and pretty in the morning is a frizzy mess by the afternoon.

Keep on keepin’ on; that’s about right. I agree that there’s no point in freaking out. Just keep at the healthy eating and exercise.

For both kids, my cycle kicked back in right about the time I stopped breastfeeding ~ 10 months for my daughter and 12 months for my son.

5. Suzanne says

Despite breastfeeding and not sleeping through the night, mine came back when B was 5 months old. I had all the classic symptoms: bloating, irritable, break outs, cramping and a feeling of heaviness. I’ve had 3 since and I’m not really regular yet. After my first period, I had a 42 day cycle. I was pretty freaked out by day 35 and took a test (negative). My next cycle was 28 days and this one looks.to be on the same path. Do you check your cervical fluid (tmi? Too personal?)? I’ve found that’s the best way for me to know since I don’t totally trust my body yet. I also use an app to help keep track. Let me know if you want more info.

I don’t check CM, mostly because I don’t know anything about it. I plan to try and educate myself on the topic. Hope I have a chance to because my cycles have always been irregular at best!
      Thanks for sharing. I feel like I am having some of the classic symptoms, so I guess I’ll see!

I’ve gotta say that I absolutely LOVE your perspective on gaining a little bit of unexpected weight. I haven’t had my cycle for a while because of a long period of restricting while overexercising (and I don’t have pregnancy as an excuse!), so lately I’ve been upping my calories and lowering my exercise. Naturally, my curves have become more pronounced and I have gained a few pounds– but who the heck cares!! A number on the scale does not dictate our fulfillment

7. jennifer says

I found I didnt get my period back till I had almost fully weaned my kids…..but I have to warn you the first period after the long hiatus…was horrible. Well I found it was. Really bad cramps, really heavy. bleeding Maybe it was because I wasnt used to it. So it could be that your period is about to make a reoccurance. Also I find sometimes when I stop breastfeeding, I still eat like I’m still breastfeeding, its just habit. That might explain the few extra pounds, especially if she is only feeding 4 times a day now

Ugh, not looking forward to experiencing cramps again! And you’re right, I’m probably still eating like I’m nursing 6x a day when I’m down to 4. I’m sure it will sort itself out :)

First, I love the wavy hair- it looks fantastic! Second, I’m almost 8 months PP and I haven’t gotten my period back either although I was irregular before pregnancy so who knows what’s going on…so cool that you aren’t sweating the scale and you look amazing!!

I breastfed Riley for just over a year and my cycle returned when she was 11 months- it was so nice not worrying about it!

I am so glad you’re not worrying about a measly 3 pounds. You look fantastic, you eat healthy, whole foods, and you exercise. One thing to keep in mind is that you probably gained muscle doing Tinas Bootcamp. From what i’ve read it sounds like there was a good deal of weight training.

I’m trying to embrace some curls too, yet my hair doesn’t really curl- it does that weird crimp thing. With this dang humidity we have in NC there is no way my hair will stay straight.

Hi Brittany, thanks for commenting on my blog! I’m breastfeeding my second child, and she’s about 5 months now. With my first, I probably didn’t get my cycle back until she was about a year old, and I have yet to get it back this time either. I’m jealous your 8-month-old is sleeping through the night! My two-year-old just barely hit that milestone. :o)

Love he wavy hair. Since M was born mine is almost always wavy…can’t find the time to dry and straighten. or not worth it. : )

We (I) decided to get an IUD as soon as possible after having Molly. She was a bit of a “surprise” so we wanted more assurance. I didn’t have a cycle before and now I won’t, hopefully.

Good for you for not letting the scale bother you! I’ve only been able to embrace this during the last few months of pregnancy, but hope I can keep it up postpartum.

And I have to say, I am LOVING the wavy hair! As a little girl with curly hair, I would instantly be more willing to talk to people with curly hair since they looked like me!

You still look amazing! Just remember 3 pound could be anything, from water weight, what you ate the day before, if you lifted weights the day before weighing. I admire your perspective on the weight gain. You are doing great though! I’m still missing my period after under eating and over exercising, gosh is it a pain in the patooey to get back!

14. Linda says

My period returned when my daughter was 10 months old and I was still breast feeding. It was pretty irregular with longer than usual cycles. It took about 3 months to regulate, and then we got pregnant again. The kids will be 22 months apart. Knowing that we wanted to have children close together, I never went back on the pill. I’ll have to tackle that issue after this baby arrives.

Aunt Flo hasn’t come yet to visit for me either, but each month my hubby keeps saying “I think it is going to show up any day, you have been so this or that…” I guess that is his way of saying I’ve been crabby haha. But I too have noticed that annoying bloated feeling and holding onto more water at certain times, so here’s hoping it’s just that and not me enjoying a few too many blue moons now that it is warm!

16. Erin says

I breasted for 6 months and my period did not return until is completely stopped at 6 months. It is so hard to tell as it can be different for everyone. For some women it returns right away even with eclusively breastfeeding for others even nursing once a day can keep it away and it takes totally stopping.

Thanks for keeping it real and honest!

My cycle came back at 8 and a half months, it was actually new years day haha! I just stopped breast feeding last week when he turned one so I was still breast feeding probably 5 times a day when it came back, and he had been sleeping through the night for about 3 months at at time.

You look great! You’re strong, healthy, take care of yourself well, and have a thriving, beautiful baby girl so the scale can suck it! Ha sorry :) I love your attitude!

19. Kristin says

I’m 3 mo post Isabelle and no period, I’ve had 2 periods of ” spotting” which my dr said will happen. I also thought I noticed fertile cervical mucus (TMI). But not really sure what’s going. No pregnancy for me yet but I don’t want to go on anything hormonal or Iud so I’m just going with barrier and abstinence as an infant doesn’t make for too much sexy time lol.

I love that you aren’t stressing about it. You look amazing, and you’re right … it’s probably just hormones/water retention. Plus, I’m sure you’re feeling good due to your healthy eating habits and working out … and that’s what really matters! :)

Way to keep it real. :) You look like one hot mama’ to me. When I hit a setback, I try and focus on the good things. The good is what motivates me to do better, not the bads, which make me just sit around and feel sorry for myself.

PS – Love the hair! It suits you.

22. JenRD says

8.5 months post-partum, still BF-ing, and still no period!
    As a fellow curly/wavy-haired girl, glad to see you embracing it! It suits you!

Okay, maybe I’m naive but I had no idea that you didn’t get your period back right away after having a baby. I guess i just never thought about it before.

Oh yeah, girl, it can take a year or more. But they say not to trust breastfeeding since it doesn’t always hold true as contraceptive and you can end up with Irish twins :)

Get ready for a shock.

I’m exclusively breastfeeding and got my period at 5.5 weeks post partum. To say I was ticked is an understatement. I’m still hoping it was a fluke period though. I’m 10 weeks pp today, so I’ll know for sure shortly.

My step sister breast fed her baby WELL over a year (just am and pm feedings) and didn’t get her period back until she wasn’t BFing AT ALL. She had two cycles and is pregnant again! Yay!

25. Erica says

Gosh thank you for posting this today of all days! I am two months post-partum tomorrow and have been starting to feel really down about where I’m at physically. I am getting stronger and my return to running is going well and I’m already able to run 9 miles a week and lift twice a week. However, I’m still 5-6 pounds heavier than normal and none of my clothes (especially shorts and pants) fit the same way. This reminded me to go back and look at your 2 month post, and it made me feel so much better! Seems like I’m right where you were at that time, and seeing how you’ve progressed each month is really inspiring!
    I had to start work this week, so it’s been tough fitting the exercise in with all of the added duties, but I’m getting used to the new normal.

Thanks for posting all this info about yourself and Hailey! I am going back and reading your posts about her progress at each age; I love seeing how babies are similar (and different, ha!).

I did not breastfeed at all, so my cycle came back soon. In 2 months time. But I did hear that ladies who do breastfeed, do struggle to get their cycle back to normal. It can only get back to normal after you stopped breastfeeding, apparently.
    I’m sorry for you that you are unhappy about the 3lbs gain. At least it’s not 4 or more. Can the weight gain perhaps be water retention?

I actually got back down to my weight from my first doc appointment, which was my goal. I was underweight before getting pregnancy, so I actually gained a few pounds to conceive, and was very happy to just be back there. I weighed myself for the first time in a while 2 weeks ago and gained 3 pounds also. I’ve been hitting the weights HARD so that made me feel better. I know BFing has made my body hold onto that extra layer of fat, even still. But I’m okay with it. Also,my pre-pregnancy clothes are fitting nicely so I’m happy with that. I am still nursing at almost 14 months, and still no period. I am DREADING getting that again.

Just curious…how tall are you???