Friday Fun, Food & Finances

It’s the freakin’ weekend baby, I’m ’bout to have me some FUN! Ahh… that song brings me back to freshmen year of college spring break in Key West… Good Times! :)

Yesterday’s French Toast Banana Wonderful certainly did it’s job.  I was full until about 1:30pm, which is just unheard of for me.  Around 12:30pm I decided that lunch would be spaghetti squash, and since it can take 45 minutes-1 hour to cook, I’d go ahead and stick it in the oven. I poked lots of holes, set the oven to 350 degrees, stuck it in the oven, and then

Set It & Forget It!

Can you name that infomercial? ;)

Anyways, ‘forget it’ I did.  I got back to work, then my best friend called (Hi Christen!) and we got to talking

A little while later, TWO HOURS to be exact, my stomach was growling and then it dawned on me…

SH*$*(^@)!

But guess what, spaghetti squash can cook for two hours and still be perfectly delicious :)

I had about 2 bowls. It was delish!

Dinner was messy.  I made a 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 regular flour pizza dough and let it rise.

The secret ingredient is Italian seasoning mixed in with the dough- YUMM!!

Embrace the mess! ...& the fact that I haven't worn make-up all summer :)

After letting the dough sit in the dark & rise for 2 hours, it was time to make dinner.  Unfortunately it was at the same time that Hubbs decided to brew his next batch of beer.  This resulted in what looked like a bomb going off in our kitchen.

But the brewmaster took a quick break to help roll out the dough.  He was a little enthusiastic with the flour, dontcha think? ;)

Behind all this mess hides my pizza... pesto, tomato, onion & broccoli!

topped it with fresh mozzarella and baked it… finally… dinner!

Mm Mm Good

After dinner, Koda was exhausted from all the commotion…

Can we please just snuggle?

This morning is/was gorgeous out, so I enjoyed breakfast out on the porch while Koda played with Jessie, her black lab friend from down the street.

Scrambled eggs with cheese, peppers & onions, a sliver of sourdough, & 1/2 a grapefruit.

& Finances.

I found it really interesting reading Tina’s post on personal finances the other day.  I guess since personal finance is such a sensitive topic, I don’t hear a lot about how other people manage it.

Hubbs and I combine everything.  I think I may lose my mind with 6 banking accounts like Tina & her husband do, but that’s why it’s important to figure out what works for you.

I think combining works for us because we have very similar spending habits. Actually, we have similar Non-Spending habits.  We don’t shop for clothes (we’re both not all that fashionable ;)), we don’t buy a lot of gadgets or odds and ends.

Our monthly budget usually includes categories:

mortgage (the necessary evil!)

bills (because I need AC when I sleep)

gas (Hubbs has quite the commute!)

grocery (my FAVORITE category)

eating out (because it’s fun)

gifts (weddings, showers, etc… we have a lot of friends with life events to celebrate :))

vacation (we don’t vacation every month, but when we do, we plan for it)

A lot of people worry that combining all the money means we have to “ask” each other for permission to buy something.  Luckily I don’t feel that way at all.  If I really need new shoes, I’ll go buy them- no biggie.  But on bigger decisions, like my new iPhone or a shotgun for Hubbs, we talk about it first.  Not to ask permission, but just because we like to keep communication open and think it’s important for us to both be well aware of where we stand financially.

I find it so much easier that all the bills are paid from one account.  We can look pretty quickly and see how much cash we have.  Nothing gets lost in the shuffle between multiple accounts.

Although Hubbs naturally has more financial know-how than I do, I think it is important for me to be aware of and understand all our numbers, too… our mortgage rate, monthly payments, retirement accounts, stocks (I’m still working on understanding this category!), etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I realize this last part of the post had nothing to do with food, but consider it a discussion around living a healthy financial lifestyle.

Overall, I agree with Tina. Do what works for you.

If you are married, do you keep money separate, or combine it?

If you aren’t married, do you think you will want to combine incomes or keep them separate?

Happy Weekend Everyone! :)

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Pin on Pinterest0Google+0

Comments

I am married, and we did combine our bank accounts so we have one shared account.

One of the best things we’ve done is set up “Personal” accounts. So basically we each have a private account (in addition to the one that we share) so that we can have a little wiggle room to spend on smaller, non-necessary things! We get a little allowance each week that goes into those accounts. For me – I spend on clothes! For him – he spends at McDonalds! :)

Love your personal pan pizza, mmhmm.

We combine our dough, it’s all going to the same place. But to each their own.

Good finances is part of a balanced lifestyle for sure.

My boyfriend and I live together and share all the finances so even though we aren’t married, we still have to deal with this. We don’t share all the bills, (ex student loans are mine, child support is his,) but for our shared expenses we split those down the middle. I am the more financially-responsible one so he gives me his part out of each paycheck, I pay bills, and whatever we each have left is ours to do what we want with. At the moment the amount leftover isn’t much, but when we are able to save I think I want to open a shared savings account that we never touch. This way if someone gets laid off, pay cut, I have a baby, whatever, there is cushion that we both have contributed too. But we will cross that bridge when we come to it :)

That personal pizza looks wonderful!!! You make such lovely food. You eat like a human not a supermodel :P

My boyfriend and I just moved in together and we have a personal account and a joint one. We pay for our personal stuff (school, books, clothes) but when it comes to our bills we split them pretty much evenly. Sometimes we do the, “you buy this, I buy that, we split this”. But I think its always good to look in the future and account for what’s coming up. No surprises :]

Your pizza looks delicious!
    I am dating but not married. I read Tina’s post as well, and I realized I had not really thought about how it might work when I do get married (someday), but I don’t really see myself splitting things up into lots of different bank accounts and making sure to split everything 50/50.

We only have joint accounts — joint checking and savings as well as both of our names on the debit/credit cards. This works for us and I think it is must easier than managing a bunch of accounts! I also don’t agree with splitting things 50/50 (unless you make the same account of money). I think if you are going to be splitting costs it needs to be on a percentage based on the same percentage each person takes home.. this could end up being 80/20, 70/30 — anything! I think that way is more fair than 50/50 if you are splitting finances.

Ohh what else did I want to say? You look beautiful with no makeup and I love not wearing any! The pizza looks delish (I made a mini pizza yesterday and am posting about it soon too, hehe).

Have a great weekend!

7. Kristin says

We have joint and separate accounts – It allows us to pay the family bills, as well as have some “fun money” that we can spend as we please, on surprises for each other, etc.

We have separate accounts. My husband pays the mortgage and his truck note/gas, credit cards. I pay all of the other bills-electric, gas, cable, phone, cell phones, groceries, car insurance. What is left after paying our bills is ours to save/spend as we wish. Not yet entirely convinced it is the best method. It may one day change to a joint account.

Brittany your pizza looks fabulous!

J and I have combined accounts. We have 1 checking and 1 savings — almost every bill is taken out electronically, and I just track everything in a budget form, just to make sure we are on the right track. Right now we are building our savings to hopefully use to buy a new house in a few years.

We each agree on a set amount of “fun money” we each get each month. J can buy video games, I can buy clothes/books and neither of us can “say” anything about purchases made with fun money. We also have a food amount, misc amount, clothes amount, etc. This works for us!

We have a joint account for everything from mortgage to clothes that he finally took over being in charge of because I hated paying the bills! We each have our own personal accounts where we put our “allowance” $200 each per month. That money is to be spent in whatever way we want, no questions asked. I think his balance is up in the $1000s and mine is spent down to the penny each month ;-)

Anything we want/need above that $200 each month, we discuss first before spending.

It works pretty good for us!

Your pizza looks soooo yummy!!! Your dog is adorable, are you sure she wasn’t pouted because she didn’t get a slice? lol My hubby and I combine our money, it works for us because we basically agree on how our money should be spent! :)

I go back and forth with whether or not I want to combine finances when I get married. The traditional part of me thinks “of course!” But, the thing is, I’m kind of a stickler when it comes to my finances :/ I have no debt, no credit card, and am all about saving (lately, at least!). So if my future husband isn’t on the same page, then I see combining our finances as being a source of serious strain on the marriage. Heck, it be a strain regardless!! I guess I should add “same financial principles” on my husband check-list then, huh? :P