With 10 days to Christmas, I’m mostly focused on going slowly, leaving some to-dos for a later date and enjoying this time of year that always seems to fly by entirely too quickly. This weekend we did just that. So as a different kind of weekend wrap up, here are 10 things we made this weekend…
1. S’mores. A holiday staple for sure. Friday night we did bath (mistake to do this pre-dessert by the way) and put Kaitlyn down, then David took Hailey outside to find the perfect stick. He showed her how to whittle it and then what she could use it for: ooey gooey marshmallow goodness!
Side note: an after-bath sugar rush makes for a later bedtime.
2. A dent in my book. I’ve needed a book for a long time to reignite my love for reading. Since I usually go for books I can learn something from, I finally forced myself to deviate and chose The Light Between Oceans. I’m really enjoying it and I find myself trying to fit in reading whenever I can, which isn’t all that often. However, on Saturday afternoon it was 60 degrees, so David and I kicked our feet up during nap time and soaked it in.
3. Banana Pancake Bites. Adding a sliced banana and cutting them into pizza slices proved to be a hit with the three year old crowd. I can see why- have you ever caramelized a banana? If not, stop what you are doing and go try it now. I’ll wait.
4. Kaitlyn an official family member. Poor second child. It took almost 7 months to get her name painted and hung up. Still, it looks pretty cute now in her neutral, nature-themed nursery.
5. The Olympic gymnastic team! Ok, not quite yet.
6. A trip to the grocery store.
7. An upgrade to our charging station. David switched out the regular outlet for a USB version. For some reason this made his day?
8. Vegetable soup. Steamed butternut squash. Boiled eggs.
And salad dressing. I’m really trying to make more of my own and really like this mixture of walnut oil, apple cider vinegar, agave and salt.
9. My child have nightmares. What is it about Santa that terrorizes young children? Oh… the fact that it’s an older stranger that sneaks into their house while they are sleeping? Gotcha.
10. An elf zipline.
And as a bonus, we made a Christmas memory that remained un-photgraphed, but etched in my mind. Last night we bathed the girls and put them in jammies. Then we loaded up in the car with hot (warm) chocolate and drove around to look at Christmas lights. Our neighborhood also does luminaries, so with those lit, it felt magical. Hailey shouted Merry Christmas to people out the window and pointed out every ‘icestickle’ she saw. David told her that just last year she called snowmen “no-somes” and I was again reminded how quickly time flies.
Mission “soak it up” is set to continue this week. Time to wrap some presents!
Did you make anything fun this weekend?
Food, crafts, memories?